Hyundai Tucson 2006 - steering wheel noise

My wife has a Hyundai Tucson 2006, bought last May, and she just started experiencing a squeaky noise with the steering wheel. She just took it to the local Hyundai dealer and they told her that other customers have also complained, that they have reported the noise to Hyundai, and that Hyundai has responded that the noise is normal.

I drove the car today and it does not seem a normal noise to me. Has anyone experienced this noise or know how to solve the problem? She believes that there is a little sluggishness also with the steering wheel, which may be related.

We live at Panama (Republic of Panama, in Central America) and the local dealer is Petroautos.

Reply to
Julio

I've seen some cases where the shaft seal in the steering rack squeaks. Applying a little lube into the seal usually resolves the issue.

I'm not sure what you mean by "sluggishness ... with the steering wheel." Can you give a better description as to exactly what is occurring with the steering?

Reply to
hyundaitech

By sluggishness, we mean that the steering wheel feels a bit harder to turn; it takes more effort than before to turn it. It never gets stuck, though. The local dealer (Petroautos) just informed us that they will replace the "gear rack" (Sorry, I am not sure if this is the right translation. The word in Spanish is "cremallera"), but they told us that they do not guarantee the long-term effectiveness of this replacement as a solution to the problem.

Reply to
Julio

The English is close enough for me to understand. The proper name is "rack and pinion," but "steering rack" is frequently used.

It sounds like the dealer may be addressing the issue. The repair is at least consistent with the symptoms.

Reply to
hyundaitech