I broke my Accent's fuel pump

Ahem. I broke my fuel pump.

(shuffles feet in embarrassment)

I was changing the fuel filter on my 2001 Accent, got too rough, and snapped the plastic outlet where the hose from the filter connects to the pump. Oops. Deciding I was too much of an amateur to do fuel pump repairs myself, I had the car towed to the nearest mechanic. The mechanic thought I would have to get a new fuel pump, that they don't come in pieces. I looked up the Hyundai parts website

andthought I found the relevant $5 component (part# 31112-25000), so I orderedit. It's listed as "PLATE ASSY-FUEL PUMP". The mechanic is still skeptical.Am I deluding myself? My wife has offered to lock me in the basement the next time I felt the DIY urge coming.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

Sounds like a win to me. Time and parts will tell.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It turns out I was right. I got the part today: it was indeed a $5 piece of plastic that replaces the one I broke. The labor is a different story. I had the mechanic replace it, and that costed $70. He said that it was a real pain with lots of pieces to reassemble. I'm sure the fact that everything was dripping in a full tank's gasoline did not help.

Oh well, that was a lesson in patience. Had I been just a little more patient, the fuel filter job would really have been easy, and a lot cheaper.

Chris

Reply to
Christopher Wong

Don't forget that now you're better prepared to do the next repair job yourself.

Reply to
hyundaitech