Icy T-intersection + 15mph slide into curb = alignment? (hopefully)

hi all -
2002 Elantra GT 15 mph into a curb yesterday at a T-shaped intersection. Long story short - left turn, car decided didn't want to keep turning and went into the curb at about a 45 degree angle on the
right front (alloy) wheel. No body damage, no immediately noticable wheel damage, but clearly knocked out of alignment as to get home in a straight line I had to keep the steering wheel turned about 30 degrees left.
It's going in to the alignment shop tomorrow to have them take a look at it. I think this is only an alignment issue and not a broken tie- rod. If it were a broken tie-rod, I wouldn't have been able to drive it all, right?
Just trying to get some info before I get there tomorrow.
thanks -

Not a broken tie rod or you would not have been able to steer - as you suspect. I suspect more than just alignment damage though. You may be paying for suspension parts.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net
On Fri, 07 Dec 2007 08:25:41 -0800, mwmosser wrote:

Tie rod didn't break, otherwise you wouldn't have driven home. That said, you could have bent things. Make sure you let them know what happened so they pay particular attention to making sure that the tie rods, control arm, and strut are OK.
mwmosser wrote:

You definitely bent something. Expect much more than an alignment. It could be anything from a tie-rod to the steering rack or control arm.

All good points. Alignment is done, car is tracking straight now. No damage to tie-rod or suspension parts. So far so good, new ice storm on its way tonight, so maybe this time I will keep the car in the garage and take a personal day!
thanks -

It was about 30 years ago that I went to work on an icy day. It cost me a weeks pay for the damage. Ever since then, I've taken a more relaxed approach to foul weather and don't venture out until safe. I'd rather be late.

You bet its scary, and in my part of the country, we have had a lot of ice too up until now.
For whatever reason, when I've had to venture out, I have felt far safer in my minivan in terms of traction, starting, stopping, emergency maneuvers if necessary, whatever, than I have in any cars either I or my kids have (almost all small, including a Hyundai Elantra and a Kia Spectra). And this is a van that doesn't even have the features the new Entourage does, like standard traction and stability control.
What I do have is good tires, new brakes, and enough common sense to stay off the roads as much as possible during those times. When I do have to be out, and I see vehicle after vehicle after vehicle either going in or already in the ditch, I sometimes wonder how much of the latter of those traits is out there, at least in my area.
wrote in message

wrote in message

It's that sssslllloooooooooowwwwwww slide to the edge of the abyss that really wracks your nerves.