Idle?

I have a 1993 Elantra it has been sitting in my Garage for a almost a year, I have been waiting to get it on the road and should so soon. I have been maintaining it all along charging the Battery and starting it up and running until warm and then turning it off . lately when I start it up it seems to run ok and then when it warms up the Idle speed runs very slow and barley keeps up , and then it stalls . when I try to re start it runs and then stalls, can you please tell me what the problem may be ? could it be the Idle speed adjustment? and if so , how do you adjust it ? thanks

Reply to
Chucky D

I'd recommend checking the service information at

It's possible you need a new idle speed servo. These sometimes fail because the gasket between the throttle body halves leaks. It's also possible your camshafts are out of time with the crank.

Reply to
hyundaitech

What a strange coincidence, I just got a 1993 Elantra and am having the exact same problem, and was just coming here to post about it.

Mine only has 16000 km on it, and has been sitting for at least 4 months or so. The person who gave it to me said that when starting cold in the morning it would over-rev for a while. My experience is the same as yours though, it will actually under-rev and stall on startup. Giving it extra gas etc... doesn't seem to do much. If I let it sit for 15 minutes and come back to it it will be fine. Once started for the day it's fine the rest of the time.

The gasket between the throttle body leaking sounds like the right track to me, I thought it would be something like that because of the fact that it will start going once given a chance.

Thanks hyundaitech for the info. I wonder if that's an expensive fix (this is my first car and I've had it for 3 days and...sigh).

Reply to
Chunkongoogle

Oh, Chucky D, I thought I would let you know what info I have from when it went into the garage for this problem (and came out unfixed).

"At a stop the idel revs from 1000rpms to 2000rpms all by itself Performed hiscan test, replaced idle speed controler and fast idle air valve $156 servo kit $240 body kit $111 Check throttle body operation, traced idle problem to be fast idle air valve and idle speed control"

They charged $550 for that, and now the car doesn't over-rev anymore, but instead under-revs and stalls out. Just thought I would post that for you as an fyi.

Reply to
Chunkongoogle

It sounds like your gasket was already addressed-- the body kit was likely the lower half of the throttle body. You should probably check to see whether everything was adjusted properly.

  1. Check the throttle cable to be sure it has slack.
  2. Check the idle switch to be sure it's closed when the throttle is closed and opens when the throttle plate begins to open.
  3. Check the base idle adjustment. There's a connector you need to ground. You'll want to check the website for info.
  4. Check the throttle position sensor for proper adjustment.
Reply to
hyundaitech