in glass antenna amplifier on '07 sonata? no am reception

I've installed a Pioneer CD receiver in my '07 Hyundai Sonata and it works great, but now I have very poor to no AM reception, and I live in the SF Bay Area with plenty of powerful stations around.

I'm guessing the in-glass antenna has some sort of amplifier, but I don't see a way to hook it up using the aftermarket harness. Pin 24, with a green/black wire is on the factory harness side, but is unused on the aftermarket harness. Could this be it? If so, which wire does it go to?

There is no blue wire, and the only unused wires are a blue/white with a tag that says remote system control, which I assume is for the steering wheel control, and a yellow/black with a tag that says mute on it. I guess that also goes to the steering wheel control, which I'll be hooking up in the near future when I get the interface.

Is this the way to regain AM reception? If so, how?

Reply to
mmduf

Just out of curiosity, why would you change the factory stereo out? I find mine to be excellent except the AM reception is poor. It is ok but just barely.

Reply to
Rob

I can't speak for the OP below, but for me it was simply to get my external Sirius tuner off the windshield, and to improve the Sirius sound quality. The FM transmitter quality is horrible compared to the CD quality I can hear now on most channels.

I got the added benefit of being able to play CD's I burn with WMA files. The 2007 radio may have that capability already, but the 2006 OEM radio I had did not.

The OEM radio sound quality was excellent and equal to my replacement.

Eric

"Rob" wrote in news:elt61h$cfm$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

Reply to
Eric G.

The wiring harness has nothing to do with your antenna connections. I looked at the complete pin out on the Hyundai HMASERVICE website and the coaxial connection is the only connection that feeds to the antenna. If there is an external antenna amplifier, it is powered from a totally different source than from the radio.

Reply to
cableguy3

My 06 LX with the 6 cd changer will play wma's. It is not listed in the manual but I have 6 cd's full of wma's and they all play.

Reply to
Rob

"Rob" wrote in news:elvj18$q52$ snipped-for-privacy@aioe.org:

No go on my '06 without the changer or subwoofer. Believe me, I tried. The HMA web site confirms that the model that came with my car won't do it.

Now, the '07 Entourage we purchased plays WMA's even though the manual makes no mention of it. That vehicle has an Infinity sound system.

Eric

Reply to
Eric G.

I changed the factory radio out for a new head unit to get much better sound. Also I wanted to take advantage of the Pioneer iPod interface that came free with the unit, which lets me control the iPod with the CD receiver's controls.

BTW, the AM reception problem is solved. The installation instructions didn't say anything about it, but there was an unused green/black wire in pin 24 of the harness that is the power from the antenna amplifier. The blue/white wire from the new unit hooks up to it and now I've got plenty good AM reception.

Eric G. wrote:

Reply to
mmduf

the after market receiver is usually grounded to the car chassis. when you hook it to the vehicle antenna this provides a second ground, creating what we refer to as a "ground loop". disconnecting the second ground from the vehicle harness (leaving only the chassis ground) usually solves the AM reception problems. Believe it or not this method usually works and has cured AM reception problems on many different vehicles. Another bizarre AM reception cure is to install a long coil of wire between the antenna and the radio receiver. Yes the wire can be rolled up on a spool and should be about 200 feet or more long. this is insulated wire and could be coax (shielded). I prefer coax because there will be less noise in the AM signal. connect the coax shield to chassis ground at the antenna end, but not at the receiver end. The reason this works is that AM waves are long wave, and using a short antenna or antenna lead stops the waves from propagation. You can use a very small gauge coax wire, does not need to be a giant roll of wire. But the longer the wire, the better your AM reception will become. This works on home receivers too.

--advice from AM radio engineer

I know you are scratching your head at this, but try it you could be amazed.

Reply to
mykeymykey01