Intermittent fuel door operation-Sonata

Me again. Now I am haveing trouble with the fuel door not opening when the button is pushed. At first, when it failed, it would operate if the door was
opened. Now it has even failed a couple of times with the door open.
Sounds like a broken wire close to the door hinge but thought someone may know of a diffferent answer. All iinput appreciated. 02 Sonata LX.
I agree with your instincts. Don't rule out the switch itself if you think the door-open operation may have been just coincidence.