Intermittent no start on Lantra

Have a 1999 Lantra, 2 liter manual that otherwise runs well except ~ one in ten times will not start. Engine cranks over but no start. Leave it for 1/4 hour and it almost always starts. Suggests fuel ok but spark questionable on those intermittent occasions. Havnt looked at car, daughter owns it and havnt managed to see the thing when it doesnt work as luck would have it. Any idea where to look?. Someone has mentioned a crank angle sensor . Many thanks John W

Reply to
John

My thought as well. If you have no spark, that increases the chances.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Found the Crank angle sensor and the resistance checks out normally. About

800 ohms from memory but also can see the voltage/current output when you run a bit of metal past it. The Camshaft Sensor though is a Hall Effect rather than a coil of wire . Measures open circuit between all three pins, nothing evident with a magnet/metal run past. . Sounds very unusual so will take a punt and get a new one. Let you know how it goes. Cheers

My thought as well. If you have no spark, that increases the chances.

Reply to
John

Put a Cam Pos Sensor in and it seems to start well enough now. Seems to be settling in if that doesnt sound loopy. Was hard to start when just installed but is getting better with driving. Only issue now is an engine miss, particularly when going around corners. Sounds a little like petrol filter .

Reply to
John

Here in the U.S., our Bosch and Siemens systems will still run the car if the cam sensor is nonfunctional. Wonder if you have a different fuel management system. I've seen Mitsubishi systems not start if the cam sensor fails.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Put a new camshaft position sensor in.Wouldn,t start straight off but eventually did and after a short drive then started reliably. . Then developed a habit instead of ( if it was my 42 year old Type3 VW) that I,d put down to a blocked fuel filter. Missing, particularly going uphill. Was causing Daughter major issues so she has taken it off to a mechanic. Be interesting to see what he comes up with. I know all arguments about modern engine efficiency but there is something to be said for a set of points!.

Here in the U.S., our Bosch and Siemens systems will still run the car if the cam sensor is nonfunctional. Wonder if you have a different fuel management system. I've seen Mitsubishi systems not start if the cam sensor fails.

Reply to
John

Most circumstances of misfire under load are caused by faulty components in the secondary ignition system. In your case, this would be the coil, plugs, and plug wires. If your car is equipped with a distributor, also potentially the rotor or distributor cap.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Put in ignition coil, no difference. Tried Crankshaft position sensor, seems ok. A bloke I was dealing with said Mazda and I think it was Mitsubishi recommend that both cam and crank sensor be replaced together. If battery was disconnected I cant see how computer would be able to work out what had been replaced or not when reconnected. Unless if its a rule of thumb if one is crook by definition the other has had same amount of work and is also suspect. Anyway ,fingers crossed. Thanks for help HT. John