Intermittent power lock failure on 2001 Elantra

Hi.

The power locks on my car are failing to lock/unlock intermittently. They do occasionally work, but most often do not. When they do work, all of them work.

If it's very quiet, I think I can hear a solenoid or relay clicking after I flip the master lock/unlock lever even when the locks don't work. So, I think at least part of the circuit is working, eliminating the master switch itself from being the problem.

Where should I start looking for faulty wiring?

Reply to
Bruce Guenter

I had this fault starting about 5 years after buying the car new, dealer wouldn't do the fix under Warranty even though the car had less than 50k miles at that time.

It is the wiring harness going through the door that is the trouble, expensive to fix out of warranty. I just pulled the fuse for the door locks and lock/unlock the manually.

Reply to
Irwell

//untroubled.org/

Hyundai had some problems with 2001-2003 Elantras with water intruding into the connectors between the dash harness and the door harness (at the pillar). There is a technical service bulletin with part numbers and an inspection and repair procedure which you can view at www.hmaservice= .com. Even so, I'm not sure this was the most common failure. Especially on a car of your age, I'd suspect the lock actuator or a faulty relay.

Reply to
hyundaitech