>>is 2007 Accent valve-lash at all adjustable?<<

hey all,

Sorry if this line of questioning seems uninformed. I just purchased a

2007 Accent for my wife and it seems to me that the valve-train is kind of noisey, at least somewhat louder than I'm used to with my previous cars. I don't see any requirement in the car's maintenance schedule for a valve adjustment so I assume the valves are supposed to be self-adjusting. I'm not at all familiar with the way the "continously variable valve timing" mechanism works...maybe all CVVT lifter configurations are self-adjusting? I have no clue.

If mildly tapping valve lifters is something I just have to live with, I can do that, but if there is an initial adjustment that I can do to quiet them down before the engine gets too many miles on it then I'd like to know about it. Otherwise, I expect that I'll be forced to visit the dealer at some point to have prematurely worn lifters replaced. Thus-far I've had no luck finding any information on the net that can shed any light on this subject. I'll soon be purchasing a shop manual (if the dealer does not continually claim it is out of stock like the dealer did on my last new car) and I figure I can most likely get the info I need out of that, but until then, I hate to drive the car, setting up a wear-pattern on the lifters that will make them permanently noisey, with complete replacement being the only alternative.

Please don't advise me to talk to a dealer about this...I'm very sure the dealer does not have my best interests in mind when it comes to service work, and I don't expect they'll be sharing any technical info.

I'd greatly appreciate any little bit of information that might shed some light on this subject.

TIA!!

Reply to
hime

I don't recall whether the lifters are solid or self-adjusting, and I wasn't at work today to be able to check the manual. Additionally, I'm on Mac, so I cannot look at the website. But if you have Internet Explorer and a regular PC, you can. The website is

and you'll need to register for a free account. What's better, it's probably all the service manual you'll ever need.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thanks for the reply, hyundaitech. Someone else had told me about that site and I had went there and got an account the other day, but I forgot that I needed to download the Adobe viewer, and when I went there I didn't think too much of the site.. But after you mentioned it here I went back there and noticed that I needed the viewer, so I downloaded and installed it and I was very happy to see what looks to be the entire shop manual for our new Accent available there. From that information I was able to determine that the lifters in our new Accent are non-adjustable, but not so difficult to replace once they wear out. I guess I'll just have to get used to a noisier engine...not a huge deal.

Thanks again for pointing me in the right direction so that I could find the information I needed, and many thanks to Hyundai for offering that great public information site. Such openness is truly unique to the auto industry, and will do nothing but build customer loyalty.

Reply to
hime