Is $475 installed, for a replacement fuel pump on a 2002 SantaFe, 6 cyl., fair ???

This is what Pep Boys are quoting me and they say it is a 3 + hour job. D= oesnt seem right . If they are right in the ballpark, then fine because i= t is so convenient versus my closest Hyundai Dealer. Also, ive got 140,000= miles on the car....is this typically when a fuel pump goes out on them ? = Thanks.

Reply to
ilbebauck

Syphon out as much fuel as you can, jack up the car, lower the fuel tank onto a floor jack while disconnecting the main inlet hose, any electrical connections and all the fuel lines, then drop the tank to the ground, open up the fuel pump cover, remove and install with a new fuel filter, repeat above directions in reverse. Try doing that in less that say 2.5 hours

Reply to
Mr Fixit!

Doesnt seem right .

my closest Hyundai Dealer.

goes out on them ? Thanks.

Most shops are $75 to $100 an hour for labor. The pump is $70 from Auto Zone but could be higher from other sources.

I'd say the price may be a bit high, but it is easily a 3 hour job to drain and drop the tank, replace the pump and put everything back. I'd probably give the dealer a call and ask for a price. They should be able to tell you over the phone. I'd also ask at a local independent shop too. I've always stayed away from the chains like Goodyear, Pep Boys, etc.

Ten years and 140,000 is a reasonable time to expect failure of any part on any car. Every mechanical part will eventually wear out and stop working. Oh, I've seen tanks rust out in that time too.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I would ask for proof of certified mechanics at wherever you go. I will not name the parts store/service shop by name to avoid liable but one in particular with which you seem to be familiar has a nationwide habit of hiring people only qualified for minor tasks such as tire installation and then putting them on tasks such as heater core replacements, fuel pump replacements, and major engine work. I once had a water pump replaced by this same firm decades ago and shortly thereafter my car's AC went out. The service guy said that they don't touch the AC during the process so it was a defective seal on my car that happened to fail.... funny thing was that while he was talking, right behind me, the SAME MODEL CAR was getting ITS water pump replaced and the AC unit was unbolted from its bracket and flipped up on top of the motor with a big strain on the hoses. What a liar! I also know a qualified mechanic who has gotten a job at this same firm elsewhere in the US and he stated that their practice of hiring unqualified people, putting them on major jobs, and charging as if they had put qualified people on the task still occurs. He sees things every day that disgust him.

That said, a fuel pump change out is fairly easy. > On Thu, 20 Dec 2012 10:16:16 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote: >

Doesnt seem right .

versus my closest Hyundai Dealer.

goes out on them ? Thanks.

KWW

Doesnt seem right . If they are right in the ballpark, then fine because= it is so convenient versus my closest Hyundai Dealer. Also, ive got 140,0=

00 miles on the car....is this typically when a fuel pump goes out on them = ? Thanks.

I had one done on a Dodge a few months ago, and that was about what I paid.= The pump alone was $250.=20

Kirk M

Reply to
Kirk Matheson

Heck...i thought you got to it by taking out the rear seat and replacing it thru the top of the gas tank. Its too big of a project for me to undergo myself and im glad to pay the fair price to have it done.

Reply to
ilbebauck

thru the top of the gas tank. Its too big of a project for me to undergo myself and im glad to pay the fair price to have it done.

I was tired this morning and thought that the person said this was a Sonata. I replaced it on my 2003 Santa Fe while the tank was in the vehicle simply by taking the cover off under the rear seats. Very straight forward operation.

KWW

it thru the top of the gas tank. Its too big of a project for me to under= go myself and im glad to pay the fair price to have it done.

This would be my method of choice on your vehicle. There's an access panel= there. Three hours is a little on the high side. =20

I'll also step in and say that while I've heard bad reviews, I've never hea= rd a good review of the workmanship the particular chain you're considering= having repair your vehicle. I'm not personally impressed with the part qu= ality, either. I'd call the dealer and get an estimate. If the price is s= imilar, I'd strongly recommend using the dealer just for the factory part. =

Reply to
hyundaitech