Is rust on the wheel drums normal?

Hi I have a 2006 Sonata GLS and have noticed what seems to be rust on the rear wheel drum where it joins the brake disk. I was wondering is this normal or should I raise it on my next service visit to the
dealer. I can't notice any on the front wheels though which is what has me stumped. Any thoughts and solutions welcome....

Normal. It is cast iron and will rust. Due to the heat it gets, there is no way to paint it. It may however, after about 100 years rust through.
Are you talking rotors or drums? I thought all Sonata GLS where 4 wheel disk brakes If rotors, yes if you are in a humid climate, and you don't drive it for a day. On the other hand if drums, my other two vehicles that have drum brakes in the rear, obviously, have never, ever had a lick of rust in the 13 and 9 years we've owned them. They are made of a good grade of steel, and a good paint job, and like I said have never ever rusted.

Sonata's are 4 wheel disc but have a drum for the parking brakes. In my 45 years of owning cars, I've never seen a brake drum that wasn't rusted. Yes, you could paint them with High Temp Paint after some good prep work but why?? I am truly amazed that razz has been lucky enough to have two older cars with no rust on the drums. Did you paint them, 'razz'???
Tom

Sonata Gl's have disc on the front and drums on the back, at least the early 2000s, GLS are all disks. In all the years I've serviced disc brakes vehicles, I've never seen a drum for parking brakes, not even on my 2001 sonata GLS, which are all disc brakes. There is a parking brake cable (hand brake cable ) that goes to the caliper. As for rust on the drums it is common but most of the vehicles I purchased had high grade steel with a good factory high heat paint on them.

My 2006 Sonata has discs in the back but there's what looks like a drum back there a little larger in diameter than the bolt circle. I assumed it had a shoe in there but I haven't crawled under to look. But I will just out of curiosity. :o)
What kind of cars do you buy, razz, with painted brake drums? Very interesting.
Tom

Yes, Wayne, I know what discs are, but have you looked at the rear wheels of a 2006-7 Sonata? Not what you are used to seeing on a disc equipped car. The 'Crown' is probably 3-4" offset from the disc. Maybe it's to give more room for the caliper but you never see this on the fronts.
Tom
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:35:42 -0600
Well, I hate to break it to you, Wayne, but the Sonata DOES have rear brake shoes in a drum for the parking brake system. I just logged into the Hyundai Tech site and looked at the system. That's what's inside the 'Crown' that you mentioned. I have to be right once in a while.. :o) I just waited until November to be right this year. Just ask my wife. She'll tell you.
Tom
Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:35:42 -0600

Hmmmmmm... the use of a drum for the parking brake is a very common design. I'm surprised you've never encountered it. What sort of vehicles do you have experience with? As for rust on the drums, I've never seen a drum come from the factory with any kind of paint on them, let alone a good high heat paint. What is a "high grade of steel"? A quick look at a drum will reveal that it is cast. No such thing as a "high grade of steel" here. Methinks you're woofing a bit here razz.
--

-Mike-
snipped-for-privacy@alltel.net

replying to tjnamtiw, Amit wrote: it is impossible , no rust on the drum , either it is a lie or the person is mistaken