Is rust on the wheel drums normal?

Hi I have a 2006 Sonata GLS and have noticed what seems to be rust on the rear wheel drum where it joins the brake disk. I was wondering is this normal or should I raise it on my next service visit to the dealer. I can't notice any on the front wheels though which is what has me stumped. Any thoughts and solutions welcome....

Reply to
Vineeth

Normal. It is cast iron and will rust. Due to the heat it gets, there is no way to paint it. It may however, after about 100 years rust through.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Reply to
razz

Sonata's are 4 wheel disc but have a drum for the parking brakes. In my 45 years of owning cars, I've never seen a brake drum that wasn't rusted. Yes, you could paint them with High Temp Paint after some good prep work but why?? I am truly amazed that razz has been lucky enough to have two older cars with no rust on the drums. Did you paint them, 'razz'???

Tom

Reply to
tjnamtiw

Sonata Gl's have disc on the front and drums on the back, at least the early

Reply to
razz

My 2006 Sonata has discs in the back but there's what looks like a drum back there a little larger in diameter than the bolt circle. I assumed it had a shoe in there but I haven't crawled under to look. But I will just out of curiosity. :o)

What kind of cars do you buy, razz, with painted brake drums? Very interesting.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Yes, Wayne, I know what discs are, but have you looked at the rear wheels of a 2006-7 Sonata? Not what you are used to seeing on a disc equipped car. The 'Crown' is probably 3-4" offset from the disc. Maybe it's to give more room for the caliper but you never see this on the fronts.

Tom

33:44) about "Re: Is rust on the wheel drums normal?":

T> My 2006 Sonata has discs in the back but there's what looks like a drum T> back there a little larger in diameter than the bolt circle.

Tom,

Brake rotors are like hats where the rim of the hat is the shiny part that the calipers rub against and the crown of the hat is the part the studs pass through.

No drum or drum brake shoes on your Sonata.

Best Regards Wayne Moses Thu, 16 Nov 2006 19:35:42 -0600

Tom

Well, I hate to break it to you, Wayne, but the Sonata DOES have rear brake shoes in a drum for the parking brake system. I just logged into the Hyundai Tech site and looked at the system. That's what's inside the 'Crown' that you mentioned. I have to be right once in a while.. :o) I just waited until November to be right this year. Just ask my wife. She'll tell you.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Hmmmmmm... the use of a drum for the parking brake is a very common design. I'm surprised you've never encountered it. What sort of vehicles do you have experience with? As for rust on the drums, I've never seen a drum come from the factory with any kind of paint on them, let alone a good high heat paint. What is a "high grade of steel"? A quick look at a drum will reveal that it is cast. No such thing as a "high grade of steel" here. Methinks you're woofing a bit here razz.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

I second the motion, Mike. I don't think any car company would incur the cost of stainless or monel for brake drums. :o)

Tom

Reply to
Tom

replying to tjnamtiw, Amit wrote: it is impossible , no rust on the drum , either it is a lie or the person is mistaken

Reply to
Amit