Jerky Manual Accent--Ignition Misfire?

I have a 2000 Manuel 2-door Hyundai Accent that's been jerking violently at the low ends of lower gears (and occasionally higher ones, even less occasionally
idle). The check engine light flashes on and off sometimes, but on the higher end of the gear, the car seems to "catch" and drive fine. I've been told this is probably an "ignition misfire." What does this mean--what are the potential problems that could be causing this and does anyone have any ideas about how much it will cost to fix?
--
unehepginagal

unehepginagal wrote:

the low ends of lower gears (and occasionally higher ones, even less occasionally idle). The check engine light flashes on and off sometimes, but on the higher end of the gear, the car seems to "catch" and drive fine. I've been told this is probably an "ignition misfire." What does this mean--what are the potential problems that could be causing this and does anyone have any ideas about how much it will cost to fix?
Replace the spark plugs and ignition wires. If that doesn't help, it may be a coil or computer problem, or something else. On older cars, ground leads can become corroded and lead to electrical problems, so check the grounds for the battery and engine and clean them up if necessary.