Just bought a used car and check engine light came on same night.

Hello. My friend just bought a used car about 5 hours ago. And check engine light is on just now. He turned the engine off and on but it is still on. It just came out tonight. That vehicle was sold "as it is". is
there any legal protection in this case? The problem occurs not even after a day. Everything has been happened in the same day. Please let me help him.
2001 Hyundai Sonata. 148000 miles. Paid $3980 to dealer in cash. in Arkansas where we live.

Did he stop to fill up the gas tank? If so, a loose gas cap or even overfilling trying to get in the last drop can set off the check engine light. It will go off by itself after some number of start/stop cycles. If that is the case, he should be sure not to fill past when the pump shuts off by itself (aside to round up a few pennies) and should be sure the cap clicks when tightened.
As far as legal recourse, he can have a judge explain to him exactly what the term "as is" means.
If the light does not go off itself after 15 or 209 cycles, he can have the code read at some auto stores for free, or a modest fee.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/

He basically got screwed!!! The seller reset the code to make the light go off and it took long enough for the engine to go through a readiness check cycle for the light to come back on. There was a problem with the car when he bought it but 'as is' is 'as is'. :o( Your only recourse is to go back to the seller and punch him in the mouth, if it would make anyone feel better (while they sat in jail for assault). Your friend can always appeal to the seller and hope he has some scruples.
Tom

Tom wrote:

While that's certainly possible, you have no way of knowing that. Ed's scenario is quite common and probably more likely.

Yeah my check engine light comes on all the time after filling up and goes off in a few days. I would at least give it a week and see if it goes off by itself before punching anyone.
Chris

PITA when that happens Solutions: Don't top off Tighten the cap at least 4 clicks New cap if it is more than a few years old.

The problem with this car is the gas tank. I've had it replaced and it still only goes to 3/4 on the fuel guage. It's also troublesome when filling up as the auto cutoff happens so much that I don't really trust or believe it. If I trust the cutoff then I end up with 1/2 a tank of gas. If I ignore, it fills til it overflows and the light comes on.
Chris
Guncho wrote:

It sounds like the vent line is plugged or kinked. Have you checked it?
As for the gauge, it's possible that the fuel level sender is malfunctioning. I've had that happen on a couple of cars, including a Hyundai.

How do I check it?
Chris
I have a 2002 Hyundai Sonata...I too had the check engine light came on, I took it to auto zone and they pulled the codes for me. P1154 and H02S .The guy at the store asked if I was using lower octane gas, and for me to add higher octane gas, and a bottle of fuel injector cleaner, although I did this, the light hasn't turned off, It could also mean the 02 sensor is going bad and needs replacing but that is my car, I was pumping my gas and would just keep tryna fill it to the max and then some, that too might have set the light off! Take it to auto zone its free for them to pull out the codes!

It will not go off immediately, only after some number of start/drive/stop cycles. If you are using regular gas, you should not ned a higher octane.

Yep