Keys for 06 & 07 Sonata

No need to pay the $30 from a dealer. My local locksmith charge $3 for a key. He did not have the HY15 blank, so he modified an HY12 blank. It is a
solid metal key, no fat plastic, making it ideal for the wallet.
The actual key part can be cut at a good price but with out the the electronic component that allows the remote entry and imobiliser I would have thought the key could not be used.
Not sure if the AU or UK/EU versions are different, but the US version remote is not an immobilizer. All ours does is turn on/off the alarm, lock and unlock the doors, and open the trunk/boot.
You can start and drive the car without disarming it. It will simply make noise and beep for a few minutes before it gives up and stops sounding. Useful to know if you misplace the fob.
snipped-for-privacy@marion.sa.gov.au wrote:

My 2003 Sonata will alarm if I open with a key after my wife has locked with the fob. The 2007 Sonata is perfectly happy to be opened with the key in the same situation. I prefer it that way since my RV is the same. Besides keys are a lot smaller than fobs for my pants pocket. P.S. where did that word "fob" come from anyway? not friends of bill
--

"PMDR" < snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@q40g2000cwq.googlegroups.com...
fob (n.) Look up fob at Dictionary.com 1653, "small pocket for valuables," probably related to Low Ger. fobke "pocket," High Ger. fuppe "pocket." Meaning "chain attached to a watch carried in the fob" is from 1885
--

Mike S.

"Partner" < snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net> wrote in message
I had an extra key copied for my 07 Elantra on Saturday. I locked my car and armed it with the fob before I got the key copied, and I then opened the door with the new key, to make sure it worked. The alarm did not go off.