Keys for 06 & 07 Sonata

No need to pay the $30 from a dealer. My local locksmith charge $3 for a key. He did not have the HY15 blank, so he modified an HY12 blank. It is a solid metal key, no fat plastic, making it ideal for the wallet.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The actual key part can be cut at a good price but with out the the electronic component that allows the remote entry and imobiliser I would have thought the key could not be used.

Reply to
djs

Not sure if the AU or UK/EU versions are different, but the US version remote is not an immobilizer. All ours does is turn on/off the alarm, lock and unlock the doors, and open the trunk/boot.

You can start and drive the car without disarm> The actual key part can be cut at a good price but with out the the

Reply to
PMDR

My 2003 Sonata will alarm if I open with a key after my wife has locked with the fob. The 2007 Sonata is perfectly happy to be opened with the key in the same situation. I prefer it that way since my RV is the same. Besides keys are a lot smaller than fobs for my pants pocket. P.S. where did that word "fob" come from anyway? not friends of bill

Reply to
Partner

fob (n.) Look up fob at Dictionary.com

1653, "small pocket for valuables," probably related to Low Ger. fobke "pocket," High Ger. fuppe "pocket." Meaning "chain attached to a watch carried in the fob" is from 1885
Reply to
Mikey S.

I had an extra key copied for my 07 Elantra on Saturday. I locked my car and armed it with the fob before I got the key copied, and I then opened the door with the new key, to make sure it worked. The alarm did not go off.

Reply to
Fantine