Lifter Noise ?

I have a 2004 Santa Fe W/ 3.5L V6, It has 15500 miles on it. Up to now there has been no problems with it. I am using Mobil 1 5W30 with Hyundai oil filters. The other day When I started it there was a lot of noise coming from I believe the valve train also it was running real rich, I could smell the unburned gas. This went on for about 30 seconds then cleared up and has not happened again. When I test drove a Santa Fe before buying mine that car had the same noise coming from the engine only it did not go away. The salesman said some of the vehicles have that problem and something there shop does to correct it. Has anyone run into this problem. Lifters leaking down ?

Striker

Reply to
Striker

Was your car parked for a long time (as few as 3-5 days) without being driven? I've seen this primarily in cars that have set for long periods of time. The pressure put on the lifters by the springs on the open valves causes the lifters to bleed down over time. If they get too low, it takes some time (or driving) for them to pump up. As for the thing the shop did to correct, most likely they drove the car hard for a few miles.

Most likely, there's nothing wrong with your Santa Fe. You probably just let it sit a little too long without starting it.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It is my wife's car and it was sitting for about 3 days.

Thanks, Striker

Reply to
Striker