Light Question

My wife just brought home a new Sonata loaner. There is a flashing red light on top of the dashboard/drivers side. What is it? It comes on upon removing
the key. It's driving me nuts. Thanks in advance for help.
Ummm...The anti-theft system.

Sounds like the security system, a flashing led. Lots of cars have them, some on the dash top, some on the front near the radio.

Definitely the security system.....what makes me wonder is why it flashes when you remove the key and the system hasn't been activated by the key fob.....a reminder perhaps??
That would be my guess as well.
Look, if you've never seen that before, it can be kinda freaky. About 10 years ago, I bought an Eagle Vision (version of the Dodge Intrepid) used. I didn't have a garage at that time, and that first night it snowed. Through the snow on the windshield, you could see something red flashing. It took a scan of the owner's manual to determine it was the anti-theft system - I had never had a car with that before.

This is quite an interesting situation. It is indeed an anti-theft lamp as other posters have suggested.
This lamp exists because Hyundai had numerous complaints that people couldn't tell whether the anti-theft system was armed, and that other cars had an LED for this purpose. Now we have people not understanding why there's a flashing red lamp on their dash. I chalk it up to not being able to satisfy everyone.

Good thing too. Since cars have anti-theft devices, none have ever been stolen! I'm right aren't I?
Of course you are, Edwin.
HT et al;
I agree...cant' make them all happy!
Steve

my last two mercs had it as does my 06 Sonata. Thought they all did now..Glad to see the red light...tells the world it has alarm!!

Yes, it keeps the twelve year olds away. By fourteen, the average car thief knows how to get around the alarm. I don't know why car makers even bother putting locks on doors.