looks like my 2002 accent is a total lemon

I ve had nothing but problems with my 2002 accent, it has only 60k miles and the timing belt broke, the power steering tube broke, the rotor went and now the wiper motors are dying. anyone had similar
problems?
joe wrote:

Did you buy the car new? How many miles did the engine have when the timing belt broke? Where did the rotor go? Wiper motors?? Most cars have only one motor. Seems like at least some of these should be covered under warranty.
Matt
The car had 30k now 60k. Most repairs were covered by warranty. I got the extended warranty so the wipers will be cover but i have a $500 deductible.My dealership nailme with $400/avg on things that were not covered. too bad cant wait to get toyota thanks Matt Whiting wrote:

Timing belt should be changed 60K miles, Rotor ? do you do alot of stop & go driving-- rotors do wearout
On Thu, 31 Aug 2006 23:27:00 -0400, sqdancerLynn wrote:

I've got 112,000 miles on my '02 with only having to replace the right side headlamp, an at home brake job, replaced the timing belt and fuel filter. As a result I've no complaints.
sqdancerLynn wrote:

This is the first I've ever heard of an Accent timing belt breaking before 60K miles.
--
God is dead - Nietzsche
Nietzsche is dead - God
joe wrote:

This doesn't sound right. I never heard of anyone having that much trouble with and Accent. My 2002 Accent has 113,000 miles and I've never done anything other then routine maintenance. I've had absolutely no problems with it.
- Mooron
Mooron wrote:

And even though my name appears above, I wrote nothing here.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

Sorry 'bout the sloppy snippage.
nope, mine has been pretty good..lets see 2002 Accent, basic model, no A/C or frills Currently at 127,000 miles Timing belt was changed around 90,000, I forgot about it, I am lucky it didn't break Original tires went 40,000, will need new ones VERY soon. Front brakes at 90,000 I had a problem with rear brakes sticking to the drums when parking brake was left set for a few days, I removed the brake dust and put it back together, no parts changed since they looked like new, the sticking is much better so far. Oil dipstick tube broke around 100,000 miles..annoying oil leak, but cheap. Drivers side floor rug has a hole, floor is fine, just the rug under the pedal. The only time this car let me down big time was around 100,000 miles, it dropped dead on the highway..the crank position sensor failed, the job wasn't a huge expense but the towing and inconvenience made me quite unhappy, but oh well, things DO break.
I did have some front end work done but that was due to an accident, it would have damaged most any car about the same way so I won't hold that against it.
I have high hopes of getting plenty of use out of this thing still, oh and I did teach my 2 daughters to drive a manual trans on this and the clutch survived, so it must be pretty tough.
Any high mileage accent drivers out there? How long do these things last? My Accent replaced a 1993 Honda Civic that went 297,000 miles without any major calamities.. the camshaft broke at 297k but the engine was pretty well worn out by then anyway, I was planning on retiring it at 300,000. I gave it away to someone who needed it since I was pretty tired of it by then and the interior was worn out, but the rest was still in good shape, it's still on the road with a junkyard engine in it. Any chance my Accent will last as long?
--

Mike S.

"joe" < snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
That's a helluva "lemon" you have there. Time to trade in!

You consider one breakdown, one annoyance, and one non critical part failure in 140,000 miles a lemon? Everything else is routine maintenance...hmm I did change the spark plugs once too, come to think of it.
--

Mike S.

"Jose Juan Miqueleno" < snipped-for-privacy@juno.com> wrote in message
Mikey S. wrote:

I think that was a tongue-in-cheek statement.
Matt
I wasn't sure..
--

Mike S.

"Matt Whiting" < snipped-for-privacy@epix.net> wrote in message
Yes. My 1996 Accent will in the next week go over 214,000 miles. I will change the timing belt next at 230,000 miles. And, yes, I do expect the car the make it that far. It has started rusting (Vermont winters are tough) and has a slightly warped front rotor. If the car died today, it was well worth the $7,500 purchase price as a 1996 leftover. I too, taught our daughter to drive a standard transmission on this car nine years ago.
Jozef