low gas light

I have a 2004 elantra. I was wondering, how much milleage can get when I get the low gas light?

Thank you

Yvon

Reply to
Yvon

Mine lights up somewhere around the 40-50 miles to go point, but I don't know if the light is tied to the actual amount of fuel left in the tank (approx 2 gallons?), or the number of miles to go based on the currently calculated MPG.

I suspect it is in the hand book, but don't have it available to confirm. Anyone else?

Neil

04 EGT.
Reply to
Neil

The lamp is directly tied to the sensor in the tank. When the sensor reaches a predetermined level, the lamp comes on. I've seen no convincing data about how long you can continue driving.

Reply to
hyundaitech

I drove 50km (31mi) highway at about 80 km/h (50 mi/h) and then filled up 56 litres. According to the manual the tank holds only 55 litres, but I have filled 56 litres once before. According to my experience, I would not again let it go that low.

Reply to
weichertwolf

thanks for the answers guy. At least I have an idea!

Reply to
Yvon

I think the answer to your original question is:

The number of miles you can still travel before you run out of fuel when the light comes on, depends on your driving conditions. The amount of fuel left may be 2 gallons for example, so if you're currently driving in the city and getting 25 MPG, you can expect to drive another 50 miles before you're left stranded. If you're driving on the highway and getting 32 MPG, you can expect to drive another 64 miles before needing to call for assistance.

The above are purely for example. I would not recommend attempting to see how far you can go before you run out of fuel. As is often the case with people's opinions -- and especially true here -- is the disclaimer that

*your mileage may vary*.
Reply to
Neil

The safe bet would be to get gas within about 25 miles of that light coming on so you don't have to risk walking.

Reply to
John W