Maintenance Question

'99 Hyundai Accent GSI 65,000 kilometres
Could someone tell me what major maintenance should be done on the car by this point?
The Hyundai dealership says the timing belt should be replaced at 60k
for about $225. Canadian Tire says it doesn't need to be replaced til 100k and it would cost $500.
I'm confused.
(All prices in Canadian dollars)
Chris
Guncho wrote:

Ok so here's the deal. The Hyundai dealership says the timing belt should be replaced at 96k k or 4 years. Canadian Tire says it doesn't need to be replaced til 100k.
The Hyundai told me I could get two more years out of it or it could break tomorrow, but I don't want to spend money needlessly.
What would you recommend I do?
Chris
guess that depends if you wanna take the chance on it breaking..;-)

I'm letting my XG350 go until 90,000 miles (144,000 km) because its a 2002 and I should get to 90k miles beginning 2007 (5 years). Yours has been running for 7 years now (1999-2005), I'd get it changed. Belt life has to be a function of miles and time (and luck). Also I've been told my XG350 does not have a reputation for eatting timing belts.
Dan
DanK wrote:

Now I've got an actual Hyundai dealership quoting me $225cdn and Canadian Tire quoting me $500.
That seems a little backwards, doesn't it?
Chris
Personally, I think $225cdn for a timing belt change is quite resonable. I would strongly consider going with the Hyundai dealership. The cost of a timing belt replacement is miniscule compared to a holed piston or bent valves.
The quote from the Hyundai dealer at $225 is probably correct. I got my dealer to quote on a timing belt for a 2000 Accent a few years back because I was concerned that it could be a big bill. I was quoted $213 Canadian incl. taxes at that time. Bob
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com wrote:

have the belt changed at the dealer.. rubber ages, you dont need high kms to warrant a change, it's 7 yrs old... ours is a 99 accent also, had first belt done at 95 000 kms. were at 158 000 now..

It's 60,000 miles or 100,000 Km - roughly the same thing.
What brand is on the belt? Off hand I would go with the dealer as he practices more and charges less.
Please let the dealer do it, and do it ASAP.
This is an interference engine, so if the belt breaks, you are staring at major engine repairs. At seven years old, a belt that is THAT critical needs to be replaced, even if the miles are down. My first-ever car with a timing belt, the belt broke at 3 years old, and 57,000 miles (a little over 90,000 km). Thankfully, that engine was not an interference engine, so no engine damage.
On top of the much better price offered by the dealership, the dealer also offers a 5-year 60,000-mile warranty (95,000 km? 100,000 km?) on all the parts and labor if they do it - a relatively new feature of Hyundai-Kia original parts replaced at the dealership for additional peace of mind.
One more thing - when they replace the timing belt they will virtually have the water pump right in their hands. Have them take a good look at it. If it needs replaced, it is much easier to do it now (almost no additional labor - just the cost of the pump) then if you have to have it done separately.
Green Valley Giant

Have the dealer do it for 225.00$ very good price

Rev. Tom Wenndt wrote:

That's good advice. (Water pump)
I will get this done.
Chris