Matt - RPM's vs MPH

Hey Matt, I took a trip in the Sonata and watched the tach pretty closely so I have the answer to your question about RPM's at 60 MPH. How does 2050 rpm sound? At 65 it's about 2200. As I said earlier, that's on the flat. If I hit a slight hill, the rpm's go up to 2200 to maintain the 60 mph and as soon as I crest the hill they slowly go back to 2050. I can't feel the lock/unlock of the converter so Hyundai has really done a good job - at least on my car.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

That is interesting. It looks like the gearing is MUCH higher in the automatic 4 cylinder than with the 5 speed manual. I forget my RPMs exactly (I posted that here some time ago), but I think I run close to

2500 at 60 MPH is memory serves. I think I'm around 2750 at 65 and just shy of 3 grand at 70.

That may well explain why you get 1-2 MPG more on the highway than me, although the interesting thing is that the EPA rating is 1 higher for the standard on the highway. It would also explain why the standard shift car felt so much more responsive than the automatic. The automatic 4 felt pretty lethargic to me. I drove a V-6 and that was much peppier. I then drove the standard shift 4 cylinder and it felt even more responsive than the V-6, other than right off the line. The performance stats show that the V-6 is quicker, but the standard shift 4 is very peppy compared to the auto 4. I can see why now as running nearly 500 RPM faster at a given speed would make a huge difference in the amount of torque available.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Wow, that is an amazing difference! I'm like you - how can they figure the stick makes one mpg more with that big a difference in rpm's? I know it doesn't take much push on the go pedal to have it go up to 2200 at 60 but that still is nowhere near your rpm's. I guess it's because I'm getting to be an old fart, but I'm happy with the acceleration on mine. I guess I need to buy back my 69 427 vette. :o) I wonder if it's still worth the $3200 I sold it for!!!! :o(

Tom

Reply to
Tom

Was that an 4 or 6? On my 2007 I4 (less than 1000 miles) at 60MPH my tach shows just under 2K rpms and jumps about 200 on a slight hill. I would assume if you have an I4 also with the same configuration, that the difference is within the margin of error for tachs. Anyone up for doing the math with the ratios and tell us what it should be?

Reply to
Partner

That's with the 4 cyl. I'm a tick over 2000 or about 2050. Can you 'feel' the torque converter lock/unlock when the rpm's change those 200? I can't feel it.

Reply to
Tom

FWIW, the V-6 is 2200 at 70 MPH.

The ratings for the standard trans are greater but it may be skewed because of the unrealistic test methods. You'd probably have to look at the power curves to see how they compare at test speeds.

From the EPA: The city and highway tests are currently performed under mild climate conditions (75 degrees F) and include acceleration rates and driving speeds that EPA believes are generally lower than those used by drivers in the real world. Neither test is run while using accessories, such as air conditioning. The highway test has a top speed of 60 miles per hour, and an average speed of only 48 miles per hour.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

Wouldn't know it occurred if didn't look at the tach.

Reply to
Partner

Well, that makes me feel better. I was beginning to believe I was numb as well as senile. :o)

Reply to
Tom

That's comparable to what I see in my manual Elanta, which makes sense since the 4 cylinder models use the same drivtrain.

FWIW, at 65mph my Elantra consistently exceeds its EPA highway rating by

2-3 mpg, at least when the weather is warm (in cold weather with snow tires, the mileage drops some). This seems to be pretty common with the manual, but the autos seem to struggle to reach their rated mileage. That may be different with the Sonata, however.
Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I've never yet matched my highway estimate of 34 MPH. I got above 32 once or twice, but never close to 34. Now, I haven't taken a long trip in warm weather on a level interstate either. My trips have been in moderate weather (50s - 60s) on I80 in PA, which isn't even close to level anywhere.

The interesting part is that my mileage is only marginally better on a trip than commuting to work. My long-term average is still pretty close to 29.5, but my best ever was only 32.3 (I just checked my spreadsheet). So the Sonata is pretty consistent tank to tank, but never close to 34.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

It's normal to design a manual transmission to run at a higher rpm in overdrive than an automatic. The automatic can turn off the torque converter clutch for additional rpm and torque. The manual doesn't have that capability.

Reply to
hyundaitech

My Elantra consistently gets 36-37 on highway trips. I've seen as high as 38, but that may have been a fluke and it was on a one-way trip.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom