Mobil 1 5W-20

Page 4 of 4
Matt Whiting wrote:

Again, nice try, but the issue is that I'm not going to spend money on an outdated article that will probably prove nothing.
Don't know where you're getting your info but it ain't right.There IS a difference between synthetics,Castrol syntec being the worst in every SAE and independent tests I've read.I've been a proponent of Synthetics since 1975 and have used Mobil 1 or Shell Rotella in every vehicle I own.Amsoil is good but WAY to EXPENSIVE.Mobil Delvac is also excellent but I can't get it around here.
RIPPER FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE! BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA SPORT TOURING!
snipped-for-privacy@webtv.net wrote:

If you say so, but relative to what? How much of a difference is there? Test results are great and they're certainly important, but if they're splitting hairs, they don't mean much in the real world.
Have you ever seen a test that rated a synthetic below a natural oil? If the latter is good enough to do the job according to the manufacturer of the engine, isn't it fair to assume that ANY synthetic will greatly exceed the needs of the engine?
Is there any API certified oil that won't protect an engine adequately for the 7500 miles that Hyundai specifies between changes, assuming one uses the proper viscocity? I have yet to see any data that indicates that there is. If you know of any, please post links here.
It seems to me that the quality of the oil filter one uses is probably more important than the brand of oil, but that's another debate.

OK, but what's your point?

No argument here.

I don't think I've ever seen it.
This is all good information to know, but I don't see how it's relevent. It's much like arguing about how many angels will fit on the head of a pin; it really doesn't matter in the real world.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

Mobil Delvac 1 is basically the fleet version of Mobil 1. I used it years ago mainly because it came in 1 gallon jugs and was much easier than messing with the loose quarts. It was designed for owners of fleets of diesel engine vehicles, but it also met the API auto standard of the time (this was in the late 70s).
I think Delvac 1 stopped following the gasoline engine specs sometime in the early 80s and I haven't seen it for years so I'm not sure if they even sell it still. They probably do, but I don't get to the Mobil distributor very often and they only sold it throught a distributor back in the 70s.
Matt
Delvac is synthetic for diesels.
RIPPER FREEDOM WILL NEVER BE FREE! BOYCOTT CALIFORNIA SPORT TOURING!
Brian Nystrom wrote:

I can't say that I've ever seen a failure that I could attribute to the oil, other than the lack of it. I run synthetics simply for the better cold starts in the winters I live in. Otherwise, I believe it is overkill for the type of driving I do the rest of the year.
Matt
Matt Whiting wrote:

I would say the same thing.