MPG Down With Oil Change

I'm certain that my mpg is down following the replacement of the original mineral oil at 3000 miles with Amsoil 5w-30 in my 2007 Sonata, V6 engine. I was wondering if this new oil effects the camshaft timing, as the timing mechanism is powered by the engine oil pressure. Should I put the original type back in when the oil change is due, whatever it was. Does anyone know what the original specification would be? Nick

Reply to
nick

Along with the oil change comes the change of seasons. If your local gas now has ethanol during the winter, your mileage will go down by about 2 mpg. I don't see how a change of oil would affect other components, but I'll let the engineers answer that one.

As for the original specs, RTFM. It's in there.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

It's either coincidental or something else was done during the oil change. Was any other service performed? In particular, if they disconnected the battery for any reason, the ECU will have to reset all its parameters and that could affect your mileage. Also how many tankfuls have you gone through since the change? If it's only been one or two, it could easily be influenced by other factors.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I'm not an Amsoil fan, but I can't believe it has caused any change in your fuel mileage. I'd sooner think something else happened coincidentally.

I don't know if the VVT is open loop or closed loop, but either way I don't think the viscosity of the hot oil would vary enough between the OEM oil and the Amsoil to make any significant difference in the valve timing even if it is an open loop system.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

Hey NickPike! Small world.

I really, really doubt it. Has your weather cooled down a lot since the oil change? I would suspect that, or the gas. -

Bob

Reply to
Bob Adkins

Yes, if you live in the northern climes with seasonal blends this could well be your problem. I lose 3-4 MPG when PA switches to winter blend and it comes back nearly instantly in the spring. :-)

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting