My 1994 Hyundai Excel wont start

Have been having trouble with "flooding" when the car starts(occasionally). Today it did it again but even though you can smell gasoline it will not start.I waited several hours and had the same result.I love this car and would really like to repair it if I can find out whats wrong. I have no clue what problem may be as car seems to run/drive fine on a normal basis.

Reply to
gma3

I'd suspect an issue with the primary ignition, or maybe coolant temperature sensor. I figure you're either getting fuel and no spark, or you're getting too much fuel to burn.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Thank You I will have that checked. I was fussing with it this morning and tightened the positive battery cable and it started right up afterwards,but that does not necessarily explain other times.

Reply to
gma3

I used to own the same car. Clean up the battery connections and the grounds. If it hasn't been done in a while, replace the distributor cap, rotor, wires and plugs. I'd recommend using the OEM cap and rotor, as I had problems with aftermarket parts (caps in particular). Aftermarket plugs (I'd recommend NGK) and wires are fine.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Does the car almost start but won't keep running or is there no signs of firing at all? I have one car, 94 hyundai excel which would just start and then misfire badll running very rich. I suspect injectors are sticking open.

Reply to
Norman Webb