need opinion of hyundaitech

no real problem. but wonder what you think about the 2007 & 2008 sonata V6. drive a camry and thinking about selling it and getting a 2007 or

2008 sonata V6. retired but work for hertz part time and of all the cars we have in the $20000.00 to $25000.00 price range the sonata V6 is the most fun to drive. handles great and lots and lots of power when you need it with pretty good gas mileage. just wondered if you think the sonata is on par with the camry and hold up in the long term. any real problems with the sonata or complaints from owners? my camry is a 2006 le 4cyl. great car but oh so boring. thanks DAVE
Reply to
Dave Dave

The only significant issue I know of is the timing chain tensioners. And only the earliest production 2007s should have that issue. Revised tensioners were used after 8/4/06.

As for overall longevity, I'm not convinced Hyundai is yet on par with the best of the manufacturers. And I don't have any significant recent experience with the newer Camrys to have a comparison point.

Also be sure to test drive the car before you buy. Wheel/tire size will make a significant difference in ride and handling.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Is that Hertz's used price? Used '06 Sonatas should be going for a LOT less than 20-25K. Maybe $14K.

My brand new '06 was bit less than 20K.

S> no real problem. but wonder what you think about the 2007 & 2008 sonata

Reply to
PMDR

thanks hyundaitech. the 20k to 25 k is the sticker price i see on the new cars. we get a lot of check engine lights on some of the cars but don't think i have ever saw one come on on the sonata. love the standard trip computer that comes on the sonata. also like the standard 6 airbags on the 2008s and the standard stability control. seems like you get a lot of car for the money. also noticed standard satellite radio on the

2008s. in case anyone wants to know the fastest car hertz rents that we have a lot of is the infinity g35 , seems faster than the dodge charger with the hemmi v8.. 5.6 seconds 0 to 60 for the g35. 6.0 seconds 0 to 60 for the charger with the hemmi according to consumer reports. guess i am just an old man of 60 who still likes to put his foot in it from time to time.
Reply to
Dave Dave

Your reasoning is about the same as mine. I was looking at another Buick, but to get the stability control, I'd have to spends $35000 for the Lucerne and I did not want the Northstar V-8.

At the same time I was looking a Buick, nothing much else was of serious interest except the Avalon Limited at about the same price. If you suggested buying Hyundai, their reputation from the late 1980's was still fresh in my mind and I'd have laughed at the idea, even though I'd not looked closely at one for many years. A couple of weeks later, talking to a couple of people that had them as rentals, they were impressed with the new Sonata.

Long story short, I looked, I liked, I bought. The car has everything that I want at a price thousands less than the others. I'm not saying the quality of the leather is the same as the Lucerne, but it is damned close. I don't need the reclining rear seats that the Avalon Limited had. It does have every feature that is important to me. I figure I have at least a $5000 advantage, maybe more.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

The trip computer isn't (at the very least, wasn't) standard on all trim levels. Make a list of the features that are important to you and verify the car has all of them.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

How necessary is it for 2006 and early 2007 Sonata V6 cars to have the tensioner updated? Is Hyundai policy to replace the tensioner only if there is a clattering noise on startup? Or are all of them supposed to be replaced? (We have a fairly early 2006 Sonata V6. No bad noises on startup.)

Reply to
pdp11tech

pdp11tech scribbled:

I would say if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Mine had to be done, and IIRC, it involved about 12 hours labor.

Reply to
Don P.
2008 sonata > V6. drive a camry and thinking about selling it and getting a 2007 or > 2008 sonata V6. retired but work for hertz part time and of all the cars > we have in the $20000.00 to $25000.00 price range the sonata V6 is the

2006 > le 4cyl. great car but oh so boring. thanks DAVE

Don,

I recently rented an almost new Camry and thought it was not only boring but dangerous. This 4 cylinder had a hard time getting going if starting out on a small hill and the suspension is very soft and wavy. So I can understand why you are not happy with the Camry.

I have a

2002 Sonata V6 and it has been a pretty good car and I am hoping for 150K miles before the end. It now has 74,000 miles on it. There is nothing major wrong with the car that I know of but little things are starting to malfunction like the gas door doesn't open when the switch is depressed.

One big issue: the brake rotors keep warping and Hyundai refuses to fix them under warranty even though it was still covered under the bumper-to-bumper. That was a bad decision by Hyundai America. I have now replaced the rotors and pads with high performance models and hope that solves the problem.

Next time I will buy a Honda which has yielded better performance and reliability for me in the past. Good luck.

Reply to
southluke

Hyundai's position is to replace the tensioners if one of them fails.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech