Need opinions please - Tucson vs Santa

Hi people

Ok. I'm this close to buying one of the above mentioned vehicles. I presently own a 2001 Accent GSI which I love to drive but now that we have a toddler and having to bend my back everytime I have to put the

30lb sack of potatoes in his car seat, I need something more practical. With Hyundai having its 0% four year financing, 5 year bumper to bumper and roadside assistance, and a free portable DVD player...hehe (in Canada anyway), it would be crazy for me not to buy one of their cars.

The dilemma is this: The Tucson, however newer and better equiped, has almost the same type of mpg as it's older sister. The older has more cargo space and a solid frame (don't care so much for the extra passenger seating space with my average 8.5' frame and toddler legs only go so far)

Please, O Hyundai Gurus, tell me which path I should take! This purchase should be happening this week and I want to make a good choice...

Cheers!

Alex

Reply to
cheg

Sorry, I should have added that I was considering the 4 cyl. standard transmition

Alex

Reply to
cheg

just got an 06 Santa Fe. LOVE IT!!!!! but fer the lil bit extra I would go with the V6 rather than the 4 cyl.. gas mileage difference is minimal and you have the extra power if ya need it..

Pete..

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

Hi Pete

Yeah, I'd like to get the V6 as well if Hyundai hadn't taken upon themselves to decide V6 drivers didn't deserve to drive stick...poor decision IMO and shiftronic or whatever it's called just doesn't cut it for me! I like to drive...

Alex

Reply to
cheg

I think you primary decision needs to focus on whether you'd like the additional space or the lower cost and better fuel economy.

I'd also make sure you test drive the Tucson in all versions you're considering (2.0 man and whatever else) as well as the 2.7 Santa Fe. If you're not going to be towing anything, I think the 3.5 in the Santa Fe is overkill.

Reply to
hyundaitech

the Tuscon has scored 5 stars for side and front which is actually better than the santa fe i think, ive read some where the tuscon has more passenger space, but a lil less cargo space. the tuscon has standard stability controll and traction controll.. something the santa fe doesnt have. but if i were you, i'd also look at the kia sportage, same vehicle just different trims... The sportage has standard side and head air bags something which you only get in the tuscon if you buy the highest end model...... portable dvd players are cheap, so that wouldnt really sway me to buy a certain vehicle over another that has more standard saftey gear...

Reply to
Jody

Your toddler is getting bigger every day. His "toys" are getting bigger with him.

I was seriously looking to purchase a Nissan Maxima. Then reality set in. I live in the Arizona desert. My home is on a dirt road and all the roads that lead to it are dirt and they get washed out during Monsoon season. I like landscaping and home improvements. I have two LARGE dogs. I am a large format photographer and amateur astronomer. My husband is a carpenter. We also like bike riding.

I bought a Santa Fe, 3.5L, 4WD.

cheg wrote:

Reply to
katrinaxx

Reply to
Jody

I believe you're wrong on the air bags. I believe all are standard on the Tucson and I don't believe it's optional to add any more than are present.

Reply to
hyundaitech

All models of the Tuscon and Santa Fe are available with 4WD.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

the santa fe in canada does not have 4wd with the 4 cyl engine "Zeppo @hotmail.com>"

Reply to
Jody

"Zeppo @hotmail.com>"

Reply to
Jody

Three cheers for those of us who LIKE manual transmissions. You should have seen how puzzled the sales dude was back in 1986 when I insisted that I wanted my Taurus with a manual transmission (yes, Ford offered them in the Taurus for several years). I never regretted that decision as the manual made the Taurus much more fun to drive and helped make the anemic 4 cylinder Ford had back then useable. I later gave that car to my sister when it had about 90,000 miles on it and she put that much more on it without ever having a transmission problem. I'm pretty sure that none of Ford's crummy automatics from that era made it that far!

Long live manual transmission.

Hip, Hip, Hooray!

John

Reply to
John Horner

Wow, someone who actually needs an SUV. Sounds like you made a good choice. Now as for those urban cowboys who think off-road includes driving onto the neighbor's lawn ......

John

Reply to
John Horner

Wait! You mean they sell these things outside the US too? :-)

Sorry, wasn't thinking globally. You are correct. They don't even sell the 4 cyl. in the US. Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Reply to
Jody

all I have driven in the past were standards as well.. but I enjoy the automatic.(must be getting old.;-)) previous had an 04 Elantra GT 5speed and a 2000 Elantra Wagon 5speed.. both great cars....

Pete..

Reply to
Pete & Cindy

Reply to
Jody

Driving onto neighbour's lawn can be fairly dangerous... don't underestimate SUVs!

:)

Reply to
Peter

underestimate

Yeah - one could easily cut down a tire on one of those beer cans hidden in the tall bluegrass, or even hit the '62 Chevy that's hidden in it. Not for faint of heart, to be sure.

Reply to
Mike Marlow