Need some advice

I had a wheel bearing replaced in July. Since then, I started hearing nois e that sounded to me like a wheel bearing. The car didn't make noise befor
e. I brought it back to the guy who did the work. He drove it and said it wasn't the wheel bearing but a lot of "tire noise"
I had other work scheduled elsewhere (where I usually go)and they told me t hey heard a wheel bearing. There is no play in the wheel.
This has never happened to me before. I don't know how to approach the guy who did the work. I would rather have my regular mechanic fix this but I don't want to pay again.
Any advice? Thanks
On 9/24/2016 7:04 AM, tonita wrote:

If the part was just replaced it is probably under warranty of some sort. It may not cover labor however, but check it out.
I'd go back to the guy that did it and tel him what has happened. Ask that he checks it again a if he refuses, tell him you will get another opinion and then take whatever action is needed to make it right. Let us know if you are going to be on Judge Judy.
Keep in mind. if one bearing went the other one could go also. Could be something else but you need someone knowledgeable to check it out.
tonita wrote:

The noise could be due to a lot of things... wheel bearing, tire, lugs nuts loose, cv joint going bad, differential bearing. Have some one check it out.
In typed:

It may help if you post the year, make, and model of the car.
And also, using that info, check out YouTube videos for that year, make, and model and using the search term "wheel bearing".
Sorry, I just forgot that. It's a 03 Elantra.
I notified the guy and he can't look at it until next Monday, a week from today. I've had two other people check it out and they both agree it's a bearing.
On Sunday, September 25, 2016 at 10:23:53 AM UTC-4, TomR wrote:

Here are a couple of YouTube videos that show how the wheel bearing is replaced. Seems like a fairly big job to me, but probably routine for an auto mechanic shop. At the beginning of each video they mention the bad wheel bearing noise, but they don't say exactly what it sounds like. But, they make it seem like it is fairly easy for an experienced person to recognize a bad wheel bearing noise as opposed to other noises.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vnDGZtWqI3I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L_c1PJcZTl8

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:49:28 AM UTC-10, TomR wrote:

Wheel bearing noise is a low frequency growl. Depending on the side, the no ise will lessen during turns. If it goes away when you're doing right turns , it's the bearing on the right side and vice-versa. It's easy enough to ch eck. Just jack up the suspected side and check for in and out play on the t ire. On your car, it's probably easy to change out if it's on the rear whee ls - but not so easy on the front.
So, the wheel bearing was replaced. He said the bearing was bad but that the axle made it bad so he replaced the axle. Never heard that one before but what the heck. He only charged me for the axle and nothing else. Fingers crossed.
The only thing that I really didn't like about this is that he just went ahead with the work without calling first.
On 10/17/2016 8:26 AM, tonita wrote:

I was always taught that if a bearing goes bad to check what the bearing runs against. One will cause the othet to go bad.

But he actually did the right thing. Should have replaced it the first time.
In typed:

Thanks for the follow-up info. Good to know what happened. It sounds like the original guy did sort of make good on the deal, but it took a little persistence on your part to get him to eventually do that.