Need to scan for problems

I have two '02 Hyundai's, a 4 cyl Sonata, and an Elantra. both have approx 50k miles. I have taken good care of these cars, however as with most cars, the check engine light comes on occasionally. I'm a DIY, I would
like to ask if anyone would recommend which software or scanner to use with these cars that works well and of course not to costly. I would prefer using my laptop if all I need to buy is software and a serial interface cable.
geek_pete wrote:

You can get the codes scanned free at Autozone or Pep Boys. You'll need to look up the results on Hyundai's Webtech website.
If you want to buy a scanner, it will cost a minimum of $100 for one that only scans and substantially more for one that resets the ECU.
thank you for replying to my question. I would like to ask if you use one and if you do, would you recommend it ? The one that resets the ECU cache of error codes would be desirable if not too much more costly.

I've been using an Actron CP9135 code scanner, which can be had for about $125 or less if you shop around or check out eBay. It reads codes, clears them, and can check the status of the I/M monitors. Requires no special skills to use. You just plug it in and hit the read button to read the stored codes, then hit the clear button to erase them. No batteries required.
There's also a cheaper CP9125 for under $75, which only reads & clears codes, and a more expensive CP9145 for over $200, which also lets you record & playback real-time data & freeze-frame data.
Bob
I recently purchased a Actron CP9125 for $75 from Northerntool and it works fine plus it will erase the codes for you.