New 2007 Sante Fe owner - a few questions?

Purchased this car for mileage to replace a gas hogging Durango 5.9L so already I'm ahead.

I have a few questions that some other owners may be able to answer for me because the manual is quite vague:

1) are there any other interior courtesy lights that come on when the door is opened other than the center search overhead light which is mounted quite rearword? It's quite dark up in front where the light is needed for entry/exit at night or even in a dark garage.

2) Supposedly this vehicle has an MP3 input. Not that it matters much but where might one find the input jack for the MP3?

3) Has anyone been able to successfully program the homelink with a Genie/Overhead Door CodeDodger remote? I've read all kinds of how-to's, instructions, talked to homelink who blames Genie/Alliance, talked to Genie/Alliance who blames Homelink, etc. I'm going crazy and I know I can continue to use a separate hand-held remote, but if I've paid extra for Homelink I SHOULD be able to use it, right?

Thanks for anyone who can answer these hopefully simple new owner's questions.

bobmct
  1. Unfortunately, that's the only lamp that comes on.
  2. I believe that the MP3 adapter is an accessory. I've seen an add-on kit which puts the adapter in the console or glove box. If you already have this as part of the factory system, I'd check those places. Of course, you may need to wire an adapter into the back of the radio, too. Before examining the back of the radio, however, I'd have another look at the owner's manual to be sure.
  3. Certain high-security systems are difficult (or impossible) for homelink to learn because of the technology in the system. The whole point is to make it difficult for someone to reproduce your remote and gain undesired access to your garage. Hyundai TSB 07-90-002 addresses programming homelink for systems with rolling-code technology.

Since this is your first Hyundai, I'm presuming you haven't yet registered for an account at

Much of the information there is beyond what the average layperson will need, but will be invaluable for the do-it-yourselfer. One of the benefits of registering (for free) at
is that you'll have access to the technical service bulletins. Once you've logged in, go to the service information page, click on the TSB tab, enter your year and model, and in this case, open the electrical section to access the TSB referenced above. Hopefully, it'll help you with your homelink issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Hyundai Tech do you think there is a way to wire the front lamps up to come on with the rear courtesy lamps? I would think it would be a relatively easy process of hooking up the +12 going to the rear lamps to the wire on the bulb side of the switch on the front lamps. Of course taking down the headliner wouldn't be too much fun, I'd rather hook it up through the wiring that is going up to those parts in the pillars. Hopefully the addition of 2 peanut bulbs wouldn't be enough to blow the dome lamp fuse. not sure how much room for slush Hyundai puts into their minor electrical connections.

As for the MP3 Hookup, my radio plays MP3's burned directly to CD's, but I don't have an audio jack for it.

Reply to
Paradox

I'd need to look at the schematic to see how easy this would be. Nowadays, nearly everything is networked. I'd think it'd be possible, but it may not necessarily be as easy as it seems.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Reply to
Hank

'07 Sonata owner here to answer the Homelink question.

Somewhere on your garage door opener, there is going to be a small button that you can use for programming your Homelink. You'll probably need to go through the owner's manual for your opener to find out anything about it; you would be looking for the manual to say something about a "Learn" or "Smart" or "Program" button. (It may very well be unlabeled on the opener unit itself.)

In any case, once you have climbed up to your opener and located this button, you would press and release it. You then have 30 seconds to get into your Santa Fe and, using whichever Homelink button you like, complete (at least) two cycles of press - hold for two seconds - release.

I did this for the garage door opener at my parents' house, which is a newer one with the rolling code technology like yours, with my Sonata. The second press-hold-release cycle activated the door, and I was good to go at that point. Once you have the Homelink button programmed, you will need to hold it for roughly two seconds every time you want to operate your garage door.

Reply to
Larry Harvilla

Hyundautech;

Thanks for the link to the Hyundai Tech site. I downloaded the TSB, followed the instructions and now have a working homelink (Yeah!)

I also 2nd the request of the previous poster to activate the map lights with the doors. I drove my Jeep GC this past weekend at night and when the door opens the overhead, map lights and courtesy lamps under the dash near the floorboards all come on... great illuminations - just what the Santa Fe needs.

Hope you can figure it out!

Thanks again.

Reply to
bobmct