New Car Oil change opinions needed....

In the old days (I am old)....we were told by mechanics to do the first oil change on a new car after 700-1000 miles....I guess becauase of possible metal shavings being in the engine. I wonder if anyone
thinks this is still a good idea, and if anybody actually does it. Just curious.
On 02/11/15 14:59, jtees4 wrote:

Fully synthetic, 5W-20 in winter, 10W-20 on summer. Always replace oil filter too, never had a problem so far. It's cheap, why bother no to.
The break-in oil change is no longer recommended. The only reason to do it is if your peace of mind is worth more than the cost of the oil change.
On 02/11/15 17:56, hyundaitech wrote:

in, and also inspect the old oil for metal particles. Had to say, no metal in the oil of the Elantra 2002 or the Tucson 2013, and some small qty on the Santa Fe 2003 (3.5L, old engine). Peace of mind for $25 + my time.
On 2/11/2015 2:59 PM, jtees4 wrote:

That has not been needed for the past 30+ years. Better manufacturing procedures, better oil and filters eliminated the need. Follow the book and you will be fine.
Thanks all. I was just curious if anyone does it anymore. I wasn't doing it anyway, I have about 2K on my new Elantra and will be putting 1K on it this weekend. Then I'll change it when I can stand the weather....it's freezing here in LI NY. I did do it once, in 1992 when i bought my first new car...which was a mini van.....and my cousin (a mechanic) told me I should do it. I have bought 7 new cars since and never did it.
On 2/12/2015 4:52 PM, jtees4 wrote:

Doing it yourself? Last change I did was on my '91 Buick Regal. It was a PITA to get to the filter. I found it easier to dig a $20 bill out of my pocket since then.

I always do it myself, have since way back.....actually before that I did it with my father when I was a kid. As cars have gotten more technical....it's one of the few things left I still do. Some filters are hard to get to, actually I have not looked under my new 2014 Elantra GT so I may be surprised what I find....I'm assuming I can do it. I also do spark plugs if accessible, and disc brake pads. Couldn't do the plugs on my 92 plymouth voyager, very hard to get to, almost impossible without a lift.

I have a 2012 Genesis, and have always had the oil and filters changed at the dealership. Why, you might ask, well, they e-mail coupons to me and makes the total cost, with tax between $30-35, without the hassle of doing it myself, which is worth it to me. Also, they have coffee, and donuts available while I wait.
On 2/16/2015 3:05 PM, jtees4 wrote:

I used to do all of that too, but as cars became tighter to work on, my knees made it harder to get down to go under, I've not done much at all. Changing filters is pretty much the limit these days. I'm not even sure where the spark plugs are as they are not visible under the shroud.