New Consumers Reports Ratings For Sonata GLS, And For Limited. Questions Re, Please ?

Hi,

New issue of Consumers Reports (Feb. 13) showed up today, and among their ratings they have a rating for the 2013 Sonata GLS and also for the Limited.

They rate the Reliability as "Good" for the GLS and "Poor" for the Limited. (solid black filled in circle; the lowest rating they have).

Can anyone explain why this might be ?

How different are they; same engine (I think), and most things ? What am I missing, please ?

BTW: they have in parenthesis next to the GLS "2.4" and next to the Limited, they have in parenthesis "2.0T" What do these mean, please ?

Thanks, Bob

Reply to
Bob

The Limited they tested must have been a Turbo.

Reply to
Partner

First, this is Consumer Reports so the reliability of the information is questionable. IMO, they get it wrong often.

The 2.4 is the standard engine found in most Sonatas. The 2.0T is the

2 liter turbo, an option in the Limited and SE models.

I don't know the criteria for the ratings they use. If it is total number of issues, the Limited would probably have more than the GLS. It has more things that can possibly go wrong. Climate Control, powered sunroof, heated seats, turbo engine. I think they use "problems per so many vehicles" for the rating and not the severity of them.

I just hit 10,000 miles on mine and it has not had a problem.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

The worst fridge we ever owned was rated the Best Buy in the Consumers Report, had to go back to the dealers 4 times. the used loaner fridge was better.

Reply to
Irwell

I'd guess that 2.4 = 2.4 L engine and 2.0T = 2.0 L Turbo

Reply to
DK

I based a purchase of a portable AIWA "walkman" type player on Consumer Reports and it was a TOTAL DOG.

I received a survey from C> >

KWW

I based a purchase of a portable AIWA "walkman" type player on Consumer Reports and it was a TOTAL DOG.

I received a survey from Consumer Reports to fill out regarding our car (it was an '80's Oldsmobile) a number of years ago and the questions were so broad/vague I was not sure where to document the MANY problems we had with the car. They could have fit into multiple categories. As a result some definite issues might get spread among multiple categories and simply result in a "Better" rating (vs "Best") instead of a the "Poor" it deserved.

I sometimes glance at their ratings but end up re-confirming my perceptions that they are as useful in rating cars as is asking your cousin Vinny about solving mach equations for rocket thrust/ characteristic evaluations. KWW

KWW

Hi,

New issue of Consumers Reports (Feb. 13) showed up today, and among their ratings they have a rating for the 2013 Sonata GLS and also for the Limited.

They rate the Reliability as "Good" for the GLS and "Poor" for the Limited. (solid black filled in circle; the lowest rating they have).

Can anyone explain why this might be ?

How different are they; same engine (I think), and most things ? What am I missing, please ?

BTW: they have in parenthesis next to the GLS "2.4" and next to the Limited, they have in parenthesis "2.0T" What do these mean, please ?

Thanks, Bob

I would think that the big difference between the GLS and the Limited would be the turbo-charged 2.0 You are looking at around 270 hp for a 2.0 which is in the V6 range which suggests reliability issues or perhaps drivability when you consider turbo lag. But, turbo engines have been around for a long time, so I would like to think there should be no issues.

Reply to
tww1491

Back in the 80's I drove a 300D turbo diesel. The turbo lag was enough that you could push the pedal down and have a coffee before it accelerated. On the Hyundai, I don't feel the lag at all 99.5% of the time. Smooth and powerful

Note that the service requirements are more stringent than the older V-6 or present 2.4 four. Oil change 4800 versus 7500 miles and spark plugs at 48,000 instead of 100,000.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski