New Elantra models, manual transmission and ESC

?When I bought my new Elantra in 2003 it was a difficult locating a unit that had both ABS and a manual transmission. One dealer even told me that ABS could only be had along with an automatic transmission. He was wrong
and I eventually found one. Now that Electronic Stability Control is available I wonder if it can be had along with a manual trans?
?

The guvmint assures it will be. ESC is required by law in new vehicles as 2012 models sold in the US.
Hyundai is using it before that on most models http://www.hyundaiusa.com/elantra/safety.aspx
Victek wrote:

I can't speak for the Elantra, but my 06 Sonata has both a manually transmission and ESC.
Matt

My manual Sonata 2010 has ABS and ESC. ABS works very well. Not sure just how much ESC actually delivers. At least while driving on ice/snow it still feels like a typical FWD without any electronic gizmos. Quite a contrast to my wife's Subaru with AWD but without ESC. That one sometimes feels like it's cornering on rails.
DK
?

A couple of years ago I tried it in the snow in the parking lot at work. I just hit the gas and tried turning in a circle. "The ESC made a huge difference in keeping the car tracking. Turning it off, it wanted to plow straight.
Some months later, I had to make a quick lane change at 65 mph on the highway. The road was wet and I pulled left as hard as I could, then right to stay in the other lane. It was like being on rails. My Buick would have gone sideways into the center median.
I never drove a Subaru AWD so I can't compare, but I'd never buy another car without ESC.
DK wrote:

The ESC on my Sonata is quite noticeable when activated. It feels like the engine is cutting out and you can feel the brakes coming. Also the light on the dash flashes when activated. If you haven't felt it, then likely you have exceeded the limits for activation.
ESC does not give you any significant performance advantage as you still have only two wheels driving. It just helps keep you out of trouble. AWD can't be compared to FWD/ESC as AWD DOES give you more performance capability.
Matt