New Tires for 07 Elantra SE

Page 2 of 2
Thanks for all the help, h-tech. Happy New Year!

hyundaitech wrote:

There's a simple modification that can make a big difference in the feel of the Elantra's clutch, particularly in terms of consistency. The slave cylinder has a small valve in it that restricts the fluid flow when you let out the clutch. Apparently, it's designed to help prevent stalling if someone lets the clutch out too fast, but more than anything else, it reduces the feel and consistency of the clutch action. The valve consists of a plate and a spring that are located at the banjo fitting for the clutch line. Remove the bolt and they typically fall out, but they can be removed with a small pick or magnet, if necessary. You need to bleed the clutch after removing the valve, but overall, it's a 15 minute job that substantially improves the clutch feel. The procedure is known as a "clutchvalvectomy" and there are DIY instructions on the Elantra Club website (www.elantraclub.com) and probably other places, too.
I didn't mention this before, because my original post was about replacement tires, but I should say that I do have a replacement tire on the left front. I picked up a nail in the middle of West Virginia (!) and the only tire I could get on such short notice was something called a TBC Tempest Touring Plus from Merchants. I was told it was the closest they had in stock to the Kumho. Do you think it would help for me to order another Kumho and get rid of the TBC? Thanks again.

Fantine wrote:

Mixing tires is generally a bad idea, as they're never going to perform the same. Considering that we're talking about front tires on a front drive car, it's even more important. Just for fun, try moving that tire to the rear and see how the car performs with matched front tires.
I'm curious as to why they didn't just repair the nail hole in the original tire. All it takes is a patch on the inside.
You could do as Brian suggests, or you could have your tires rotated. Either way, that's the first step in checking to see if there's a difference. I don't recognize TBC Tempest, so I suspect it's a low-cost generic tire, which is unlikely to have similar traction characteristics to your Kumho.
As for the tire repair, it depends on where the puncture is. A puncture in the sidewall is not repairable safely.
Thanks, I'll get the tire rotated on my next visit to the garage and see what happens.

hyundaitech wrote:

I've been in that situation once, but I've also had unscrupulous mechanics tell me that tread punctures couldn't be repaired, in order to try to sell me a tire. Fantine's description raised a red flag with me.