new to group...potential buyer...feedback?

I'm looking at a 2003 Elantra GT hatchback. I see no recalls or service bulletins, and all the reviews I've seen have raved about it. Any feedback (good or bad) from the group here?

TIA, Rick

Reply to
rick

There's been quite a bit of feedback on the EGT here over the last year or so that I've seen. I also posted a review shortly after I bought my 04 in Jan 04. Try this:

IMO, the hatch is more flexible than the sedan, and better looking too. My only complaint after more than 20k miles is I wish it had more power. It's not seriously under-powered, but I like to drive quickly.

Go for a test drive and I'm sure you'll be sold. Let us know how you get on.

Reply to
Neil

I've got an '04 EGT that I'm very please with. It gets great gas mileage (34-35 @ 65 mph on the highway), it's comfortable and it's plenty powerful enough for normal driving.

My one initial complaint was that in its stock configuration, it understeers severely. The handling can be greatly improved by replacing the stock 13mm rear sway bar with the 18mm or 19.2mm rear sway bar from the Tiburon. This balances the front and rear roll stiffness without adversely affecting ride quality. This seems to be the single most common modification owners make.

You should check out the following EGT sites for more information, tips, modification DIYs, etc.:

- The Elantra GT Club
- The Elantra XD site (XD is the factory code for the current Elantra iteration) Since the current car was introduced in '01, there have been several service bulletins and recalls for things like:

- Reprogramming the ECU to eliminate a midrange flatspot in the power curve.

- Reprogramming the airbag timing.

- Replacing a rollover valve in the fuel system.

- Checking a clamp in the fuel system.

While I would not let these things scare you away, it would be worthwhile to check the service history of the car you're interested in. If you're buying it from a dealer, insist that all recalls are done and documented.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom