No resistance - Accent Ignition Lock

My son's 2000 Accent has been sitting in the back yard with weeds growing around it the past couple of months.
The history of my son's (ab)use of the car has been documented here in
this group over the years.
I finally got the one surviving key from him this week and attempted to crank the car this morning so I could mow under it.
The key fits in the ignition lock and it turns but there is absolutely no resistance. It's obvious the lock is not turning the underlying switch as the steering wheel remains locked.
Has anyone run into this before? Does the lock need to be replaced or does the switch?
TIA
If the steering wheel remains locked, the problem is with the lock cylinder itself. Sounds broken.