Noise and smell from brake pads

I had my front brakes done on my 2005 Santa Fe 3.5L last month at my local mechanic. Since then the brakes have been making a grinding noise at low speed (like backing down my steep driveway), and I notice a bad odor from the front of the car after driving.

The brakes stop the car just fine, and the rotors look OK. Could it be the pad composition is not right for my car?

I know if I ask, my mechanic will change out the pads. What type of pads should be used on my Santy?

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

I have switched to ceramic pads exclusively for all of my vehicles. Less rotor distortion due to heat, less filth on the wheels, longer life, and only a modest increase in price.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

Sounds like you have a pad dragging to me.

Reply to
D&SW

I don't think it is a pad issue. Could be a caliper sticking. Get it checked out before more damage is done.

Reply to
Edwin Pawlowski

I dropped it off at my mechanic in the afternoon. He said the pads were working OK but agreed they were causing the noise and smell. He change out the pads for a different brand.

The seemed OK on the way home but its only a few blocks. The next few days will tell.

Thanks, Jon

Reply to
Zeppo

Changing the pads seems to have corrected the problem. They work fine now. No noise at all.

Jon

Reply to
Zeppo