Noise in 2000 Elantra

I have a 2000 Elantra with about 108,000 miles (just out from under warranty, of course). The transmission has never given me any problems and I've had the fluid changed according to the schedule.

The other morning as I was turning into my work, a slight noise started coming from under the car. I first thought I was dragging a branch or other object, but didn't see anything. The noise continued, but I noticed that when I backed up, it didn't make the noise.

If was a very quiet noise. If I had had the radio on, I probably wouldn't have heard it.

I took it to my mechanic and he drove it and checked it. He said he THINKS it may be the transmission. Since the transmission shop wants $450 just to find out, I'm wondering if anyone else has encountered a similar problem with their Elantra and if so, what the problem was.

Thanks!

Reply to
amseibel

You need to find a more competent shop. It's not difficult to tell which component is making the noise with the car running on a lift.

If you verify it's in the transmission, you should probably have a reman installed. Don't have someone overhaul your old transmission. There will be a large amount of metal filings in it that will be very difficult to completely remove.

Reply to
hyundaitech

It doesn't make the noise unless it is moving forward. I guess I'll just "bite the bullet" and take it to the dealer and pay the money to have them check it out. Thanks.

Reply to
amseibel

My point is that it'll probably still make the noise on the lift. The technician simply needs to raise the wheels off the ground and put it in forward gear (or whatever gear is necessary for the noise to occur). Then it's a matter of probing around to find the source of the noise. Not rocket science.

If indeed it is in the transmission, it'll be an expensive repair.

Reply to
hyundaitech