non hyundai question, (but I like hyundaitech's advice!!)

while this problem isn't happening on a hyundai, it concievably could......

I just picked up a backup car, a 93 olds achieva with a dohc 4 cyl.

found out from service records that one spark plug is cross threaded. what options does one have when this plug stops working? will the head need to be pulled, or is there an easier solution?

hopefully no one is too offended by my non-hyundai question, but I've been on this NG for about a year, and I kinda like talking to you people!!

thanks for any and all help.

andre

Reply to
Andre

could......

It really is a question you should take to alt.autos.gm. Of course we're all nice guys here, but there really is a newsgroup for this question.

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You won't know what's necessary until you get the old plug out. Many GM techs use anti-seize on plugs to keep the threads from being damaged when replacing plugs.

If it's not too bad, some anti-seize and a new plug may work fine. Always replace plugs on a GM engine when cold. Probably due to thermal expansion, most thread problems occur when servicing plugs on a warm engine. Or you may be able to clean up the threads with a tap. Worst case, you'd need to install a helicoil. But tapping or drilling for the helicoil will introduce shavings into the combustion chamber. They'll probably blow out with no damage, but the possibility of worse is always there.

Reply to
hyundaitech

That's where a vac with a narrow nozzle comes in handy.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Thanks (as always) for the advice.

I promise from now on to only post hyundai related questions!!!

Andre

BN> That's where a vac with a narrow nozzle comes in handy.

Narrow as in a straw ...

Best Regards Wayne Moses Wed, 15 Nov 2006 18:40:39 -0600

Andre