NY TIMES Critic: Likes Azera, Predicts Improvements

Page 2 of 2
Bob Adkins wrote:

No, I've accepted no freebies from the dealer. I never even got the survey on the dealer that I was told to expect. I did get one on the car from J.D. Power and I filled it out honestly. They only gave room for 4 design defects as I recall, so I couldn't list them all. :-)
Bribery doesn't take two, at least not by any definition I've ever seen. If you try to bribe a police officer, the officer doesn't have to accept the bribe in order to arrest you for bribery. Here's one sample definition, but others I've seen are similar. Where did you get the "it takes two" definition?
http://encarta.msn.com/encnet/features/dictionary/DictionaryResults.aspx?refid 61592654
Matt

Don't confuse attempted bribery with bribery. Bribery takes 2. Attempted bribery takes 1.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

I see no such distinction in any dictionary I've looked at. Do you have a reference or are you just making this up as you go? :-)
Matt
No Bob, attempted bribery still takes TWO with ONE refusing to go along. If you only have ONE who are they trying to bribe ?
Tunez

Maybe I should have said it takes 1 dishonest person to attempt bribery. It takes 2 dishonest people to commit bribery. I'm sure you get my drift.
--
Bob

Bob Adkins wrote:

Yes, I do. It is a small point, but I believe that bribery has been committed as soon as the offer is made, it doesn't matter if it is accepted or not. The dictionary definitions of bribery relate to making the offer, not completing a transaction, which was my point. So, it only takes two in the sense that the offer is made to as second person, but that second person does NOT need to take any action at all for bribery to have been committed by the first person.
Matt

Matt, do you work for Symantec? :-P
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

No, what does AV software have to do with bribery? :-)
Matt
I think that was a pun, Matt.

Ah, we have a winner!!
Eric