O2 Sensor going bad.

I'm hoping for a reply from HyundaiTech on this post. My daughter drives the 2003 Sonata V-6 that I gave her last year when I got my 2007 Sonata. About a month ago the CEL came on. When she called me I told her to check the gas cap and make sure it was tight, she said it seemed OK but took it off and put it on tight anyway. A couple of days later it went off. I didn't think any more of it. This week it came on again on Wednesday, I told her it was OK to drive it and I would check it when she came over on the weekend. On her way home from work Friday, it went off. Since the lamp had gone out, I didn't expect to find any DTCs, but sure enough it came up with a P0160. My questions are:

1) O2 sensors are covered by the 5yr/60k warranty, right? (10yr/100K?) 2) How long will that code stay given that the lamp went out? 3) Will the dealer replace the sensor based on the internal code given that the lamp is not on? The car has a little over 59000 miles on it, in less than a month it will be over 60K. If the lamp comes back on, I've told her to drive it straight to the dealer. But if it doesn't, I not sure what to do.
Reply to
Partner

These actually sound like good questions to ask directly of the dealer. Sometimes it's better to go straight to the source. In most cases, dealers will fix cars based on stored codes. Many codes are somewhat transient and that's why (or partially why...) there is a memory for stored codes.

Reply to
Mike Marlow
  1. Yep. 5/60.
  2. Quite a while, actually.
  3. The repair will depend on the diagnosis of the technician. If the code is present, and there are no other problems noted that would be likely to cause a P0160, I'd say they're likely to replace the O2 in question.

I went and looked up the code, it indicates no activity on the downstream O2 on the front bank.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech