'O8 ELANTRA

On the first start of the day there is a loud squealing noise from the engine which last for about a second or two. No noise the rest of the day, only when it is a cold start.

90,000 miles timing belt changed at 60,000, dealer said changing the water pump was not necessary.
Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Maybe it has to be changed at 90,000 though. Pop the hood and listen while someone starts the car.

I know the dealer says it is not needed, but it is modestly priced insurance in case the pump does not make 120,000. If you have to change the pump, I'd consider doing the belt again as it is half gone and labor is "free".

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

I have tried to pin point the noise but very difficult to tell where it is coming from except the engine. Could it be the starter shaft is not retracting properly?

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

You described the sound as a "squeal". Squeals are often accessory belts not tight enough, especially in the morning when the belts are cold and stiff. Starter not disengaging is not really a squeal, it's more of a loud metallic rasping / grinding as the flywheel gets destroyed. Vac leaks are often whistles.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Good point. Not familiar with that particular engine, but in general . . . I'd be sure the serpentine belt is in good condition and properly tight and check the idler pulley.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

My '06 2.0 has 3 belts.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

I have check the belts but will check again, thanks

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

OK, that makes is both easier and harder to track down the problem. You can take off the belts one at a time, start the car, listen for the noise. It would be a real PITA to do it that way though. Or you take off the first two and see if the last one seals or the component it drives.

Reply to
Ed Pawlowski

Ok, thanks. Too cold here in TX to do anything today.

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Too cold in TX. Now that's different.

Reply to
dgk

This is typically caused by a loose alternator belt. You may want to try tightening it before looking elsewhere.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Different for sure! It's about 26F, -4C at the moment in Houston. Supposed to get down to 18F, -8C later tonight. Every year it gets a bit colder.

Reply to
Paul in Houston TX

Ok, it has about a 1/2 inch flex in it now, what is normal?

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM

Almost zero on this belt. You shouldn't be able to move it at all if you push gently.

Reply to
hyundaitech

Ok thanks, I did tighten it yesterday before starting it the first time and no more noise. Seems too tight but that was the problem.

Thanks again

Reply to
B.C. MALLAM