Oil change on your own???

Page 1 of 2
Hi Guys, Do any of you do an oil change for your Elantra 02 (or for that matter any car) on your own? I mean how can it be done without raising the car
on one of those lifts? And how do you dispose off the old oil? Anything else that I need to be careful about? Thanks, Bini
Been doing it for years. Its dead easy. Either put the car on ramps or jack up one side and put an axle support OR if you are small just wriiggle under. Put a Plastic pan or dishpan under the filter, remove by screwing anticlockwise, usually helps to have e filter wrench (cheapo), get your replacement filter, put some oil on the rubber ring, check you havent left the old ring in place and spin it on. When it contacts the base tighten it, HAND ONLY, about 2/3 turn. Now move the pan under the drainplug, remove it and let the oil drain, it will drain better if you remove the filler cap. After it has drained replace the plug and torque it tight, careful to get it threaded correctly. Add about 3.5 litres of oil or 3 quarts, start the engine, watch the oil light go out.switch off. Remove jack or take of ramps and check oil level, add oil as necessary careful not to overfill , done. Drain oil from pan into jug new oil came in, take back to store you bought it from or to a local garage, they will usually look after it or contact your local municipality and they will tell you where to dispose. Time usually about 10-12 minutes. Here ended the lesson!! Keith

Keith wrote:

Keith adds a good point that I omitted in my response, namely to ensure that the old gasket came off with the old filter and didn't remain stuck to the sealing surface on the engine. Also, some cars, my Sonata included, recommend that you also replace the aluminum washer on the drain plug each time. I generally replace it every 2nd or 3rd time, but the recommendation is every time.
I prefer to let my engine drain for more like 30 minutes rather than the 10-12 Keith suggested, but then again, I tend to start it draining and then do something else until it nearly stops dripping. I just like to get as much of the old oil out as possible.
It is a pretty straightforward job, just a little messy, especially with the vertical filter as my Sonata has. Some folks puncture the bottom of the filter to drain it before unscrewing it, but I haven't found this much less messy than just unscrewing it and letting the oil run down the filter.
Just take your time and confirm each step before moving on to the next step.
Matt
Making sure the old gasket comes off cannot be stressed enough. We had a customer who had to pay for a new engine in his Tiburon (V6 no less) because he did his own oil change, double gasketed the filter, had it start leaking later, and didn't stop driving when the oil light come on.
That is why you should run the engine for 3 - 5 minutes after the oil change while looking under the car for leaks.

Jozef wrote:

The trouble is that this situation might not occur until you have fairly high oil pressure. If you do an oil change correctly, your engine is quite warm after the change. And if the engine is idling and fairly warm, the oil pressure is at its lowest. The worst case is during a cold start and driving away with a cold engine and cold oil. I rev the engine and idle it for a few minutes after each change as you do, but I also take a close look at it after I drive it the first time after a completely cold start. I've never had a leak, but there's always a first time!
Matt
hyundaitech wrote:

It is funny as I've never had this happen in more than 30 years of changing my own oil, but I keep hearing the stories. I always check the old filter when I remove it and wipe the mating surface on the engine clean as well, so it is incredulous to me that someone could miss this. I mean, who puts a clean filter on a dirty mating surface.
Anyone as stupid as this person deserves to pay for a new engine! Driving with the oil light on is about as dumb as it gets.
Matt
Have been changing my own oil for 40 years. never had a problem. Speaking of oil changes. Went to the dealer and got oil filter for new 06 V-6 Sonata. cost me 8.32 and another 92 dents for pan drain crush gasket. Now find you can get them for 6.52 at hyundai parts on line. anyway dealer says we'll NEVER get aftermarket filter replacements for the V-6!! Isn't "never" a long time??
Sure, NEVER is a long time. But the dealer figures that if you believe him, you'll be hooked buying the filters from him at $8.32.
Speaking of which, I'd like to know where he got that crystal ball that tells the future. It'd be useful for all those times when the service advisor doesn't understand why I cannot diagnose a problem which occurred one time three months ago.
I have already ordered two more online from Hyundai online which is web site for a H dealer in Springfield Mass. I got them for 6.32 each, also ordered cabin air filters from him at 22.45 each.
Deck wrote:

What is the url? The Hyundai online store that I bought a case of oil filters from and just recently a set of shop manuals is in Renton, WA (Lithia Hyundai). They have been great to deal with, but I could save some shipping costs buying from MA. I paid $20 to have the manuals sent, but then again, they and the box weighed 16 lbs!!
Matt

www.hyundaipartsonline.com
Also try https://dcs.hyundaidealer.com/customer/index.jsp (IE needed) This covers your local dealers.
1 wrote:

That is weird. That is the same place I've ordered from and both times the orders came from Lithia Hyundai in Washington state and I live in PA.
Matt

Why is it that I can not find '06 filters there? Where are they hiding them? I can't find anything useful there on the 06 Sonata.
--
Bob

they don't show up on their web site, but if you email them or call, you will get them. some of the parts come from lithia but when I called, I asked where they were and they said Spflg Mass!!! www.hyundaipartsonline.com
Deck wrote:

Maybe Lithia is a nationwide chain of dealers or some such. Both my oil filters and my manuals came from WA according to the UPS labels.
Matt
well...guess what? I now find I ordered the filters from another web site that I cannot find at the present. I did order mudguards from Hyundaipartsonline and they came from Renton!!! will advise further when I get it straight!
OK I found it web site is: http://www.haddadhyundaiparts.com / they have coupon on the site for free shipping on filters!
Deck wrote:

What did you pay for your filters? I don't see prices listed at this site. Here's what I paid at Lithia Hyundai, in Renton. As you can see, the price on the filters and crush rings was pretty good at less than $5 per filter and crush ring. My local dealer charges $10 just for a filter. I didn't buy a crush ring for my first change so I don't know the dealer cost on that. With tax, I paid $10.75 for a single filter. So for 10 of them, I'd have paid $107.50 locally and that is without crush rings. Even with the shipping, the internet deal was pretty good!
Matt
2006 Hyundai Sonata GL with 2.4L 4 cylinder engine and 5 speed manual transmission
Products ------------------------------------------------------ 1 x Oil Filter (Case Lots) (26300-35501) = $49.94     Option 1 Oil Crush Ring (Pkg 10) ------------------------------------------------------ Sub-Total: $49.94 Major Shipping Courier (1 x 12lbs) (Ground): $12.18 Total: $62.12
these were filters for the 3.3L v-6: oil 6.65, air 10.26, cabin air 22.46. no shipping. I just emailed them and they gave me quote, I then called the 800 number and ordered by phone and told them of the Free shipping coupon. I bought oil filter here at dealer for 8.32 net. crush ring was 92 cents here. S. Calif