Oil change on your own???

Page 2 of 2
On Tue, 14 Mar 2006 16:30:41 -0500, "Keith"

and 3.5 ltr. I 'd guess about a qt. I think you reversed your units. 3 ltrs ~= 3.5 qts. liters are bigger
;-)

hate to burst yer bubble but a quart is bigger than a litre..;-)
least in Canada they are..;-)
Pete...

Pete & Cindy wrote:
: :::: Hi Guys, :::: Do any of you do an oil change for your Elantra 02 (or for that matter :::: any car) on your own? I mean how can it be done without raising the car :::: on one of those lifts? And how do you dispose off the old oil? :::: Anything else that I need to be careful about? :::: Thanks, :::: Bini :::: :: not to nit pick too much but there is a fair difference between 3 qts :: and 3.5 ltr. I 'd guess about a qt. I think you reversed your units. :: 3 ltrs ~= 3.5 qts. liters are bigger : : hate to burst yer bubble but a quart is bigger than a litre..;-) : : least in Canada they are..;-) : : Pete... :: ;-)
You sure ???? ... for what I know Canada has joined the civilized countries and switched to metric too, so nobody is using Imperial Gallons anymore. The only barbarians using Gallons are the folks at the U.S.A., their gallon is the US Gallon (smaller than the Imperial), and their quarts are smaller than the Litre.
On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:09:36 GMT, "Victor A. Garcia"

1 quart [US, liquid] = 0.946 352 95 liter
hehe gives meaning to the phrase "talking out of your ass"
accent wrote: : On Wed, 15 Mar 2006 06:09:36 GMT, "Victor A. Garcia"
: :: You sure ???? ... for what I know Canada has joined the civilized :: countries and switched to metric too, so nobody is using Imperial :: Gallons anymore. The only barbarians using Gallons are the folks at the :: U.S.A., their gallon is the US Gallon (smaller than the Imperial), and :: their quarts are smaller than the Litre. :: : : 1 quart [US, liquid] = 0.946 352 95 liter : : hehe : gives meaning to the phrase "talking out of your ass"
?????????????????
So you know that 1qt=0.94635 liters, in another words, 1 qt is less than 1 liter .... notice the: ' 0. ', Zero < One. But, still, you think that ONE quarter is bigger than ONE liter ....
It looks like you are 'Mathematically Challenged'. Apparently it was not me the one talking out of the outside valve of the Colon.
I just drive one front wheel up on to a curb from my driveway. It raises the front enough for me to crawl under to work.
--

"Keith" < snipped-for-privacy@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
news:iCGRf.1540$ snipped-for-privacy@news20.bellglobal.com...
Bini wrote:

I've changed my own oil for more than 30 years. I don't have an Elantra, but I have an 06 Sonata and just changed the oil in that.
I don't think it is possible without raising the car, unless you are built like Twiggy. I use a set of car ramps that you can buy at almost any auto supply store. I drive the front end up on the ramps and that gives me plenty of clearance under the front of the car.
I dispose of the old oil at a local garage. Many garages and places like Wal-Mart that sell oil are required to accept a certain quantity of used oil from the public. I think many places limit you to 5 gallons at a time. I have a 5 gallon gas can that I used to save the oil until I have enough to be worth taking it in.
The main things to be careful of are re-installing the drain plug and the oil filter. Start the drain plug with your fingers and finger tighten it before applying a wrench. That will almost ensure that you won't cross thread the plug. Then carefully tighten the drain plug, but don't overtighten it. Overtightening is probably the biggest problem next to cross threading. I've changed oil enough times that I can get pretty close to the proper torque using a box-end wrence and my "calibrated" forearm. However, if you haven't changed oil before, I would strongly suggest you get a torque wrench and use that to tighten the drain plug.
Same thing with the oil filter. Be sure to coat the gasket with a thin film of clean oil and then tighten it by hand until the gasket contacts the engine. Then turn it the fraction of a turn called for by the filter maker. 2/3-3/4 of a turn is fairly common, but some filters call for a full turn. I can do this by hand, but if you don't have strong hands and arms, you may have to use a filter wrench to tighten the filter sufficiently.
The other main thing is to remember to refill with oil before starting the engine to back the car off the ramps! :-)
Probably the most common errors are:
1. Overtightening and thus stripping the threads from the drain plug or, worse yet, the oil pan.
2. Crossthreading the drain plug.
3. Undertightening or overtightening the filter.
4. Forgetting to oil the filter gasket.
5. Pouring the new oil into the engine having forgotten to replace the drain plug. I can honestly say I haven't done this, but I've come close and I know folks who have done this. Very embarrassing and very messy.
6. Starting the engine before refilling with oil.
Matt

I have an 03 and an 05 Elantra GT. I've been changing my oil since, let's see...about 1977..so that's 29 years. Damn I was hoping it was 30. 30 Sounds better. Ramps work best for me. I bring the old oil to the town dump once in awhile. In the meantime I fill up old laundry soap platic containers which I save for this purpose. It's very easy, but also very easy to screw up...specifically do not overtighten anything, but also make sure everything is tight. When I let my son do it the first time, he ws all done and we started the car and watch all the oil come right back out. The filter felt tight but was cross threaded and didn't go all the way in. So I would say...always run the car for a few minutes after you are done and look under it. It can save your engine. Good luck.

If you use old laundry containers, etc., don't leave them out in the sun for more than a few weeks - filled or not. They degrade fairly rapidly, and get brittle. Tends to make a mess......
I buy the 5 quart jugs, and refill them.

I've left them out for a good month or maybe even two at times. Never had a problem, but thanks for the warning anyway.

It might depend where you live. I live in NC, and UV is pretty intense here in the summer. I had a gallon jug of Glyphosphate - Round Up - where the container got brittle enough that it cracked wide open from being left in the sun. My red gas cans have a severe case of sun bleaching, also..

NC, but not for a few years. Know any cheap but nice condos? I don't like too much heat, so maybe your brittle cans should give me a hint.

I'm on the coast. It's not real hot here during the summer, and it's not real cold here during the winter. Beats BGM, NY which is where I'm from.... No more roof rakes! Look at this: http://www.erh.noaa.gov/ilm/climate/records/ilm_records.shtml
Anyway, that plastic in the sun thing is because the UV is fairly strong here.
As far as condos, try www.wilmingtonstar.com
Bob wrote:

I worked for the better part of two years in Wilmington and found the summers pretty uncomfortable due as much to the humidity as the heat. I live not far from BGM (about 50 miles west) and find it much more pleasant here. Wilmington was a sprint from AC in the car to AC in the plant to AC in the restaurant to AC in the hotel! :-)
Is the Trails End restaurant still in operation? I always liked that place. The original was even better prior to the fire, but the new one is a little more classy I guess.
Matt

Thanks for the info.