Oil Drain Plug Gasket installation

Is there a way to install this WRONGLY? The one side is flat with a groove in the middle and the other side is semi-circular. Which side goes into the oil pan hole and which side fits against the drain plug head?

Reply to
Peet

The groove in the middle should go "out" as you place it on the drain plug - it will eventually be the side that goes against the oil pan. That is one of those "crush-able" o-rings, and that groove is what provides the seal.

Key is to ALWAYS make sure you replace these crushable o-rings with every oil change. After they have been deformed that first time, if you try to re-use it, it will leak.

Hope this helps.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

Better yet, replace the plug with a Fram or Fumoto drain valve and eliminate the need to replace the crush washers. They also eliminate the need to handle oily drain plugs.

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I've wondered how these work. Haven't really ever heard anyone who actually used one over a period of time make a comment about them. How long have you had yours in Brian? How many oil changes has it gone through?

Reply to
Mike Marlow

You should tell that to the original "crushable" o-ring under my 01 Santa Fe.

13 oil changes later, no leaks at the drain plug. I wish I could say that for the valve cover (leaking at gasket) that the idiot "Hyundai Certified" mechanic removed...

IMHO, if you're destroying those rings on every usage (at least the brass/copper ones like the factory used) you really need to lay off the drain plug torque - its not a lugnut.

JS

Reply to
JS

You have me laughing at that, because often I have accused "fast oil change" mechanics of using the occasion to tighten the drain plug to do their chin-up exercises - it is unbelievable how tight that drain plug is when anybody other than me does the oil change.

Usually I only use two or three fingers on the wrench.

But still, if I forget to change that O-ring (which I have done twice), they have leaked.

But the dealer gives me a whole bag-full for nothing, so it is no big deal for me to change them.

Thanx for the info.

Tom Wenndt

Reply to
Rev. Tom Wenndt

My Hyundai 1996 Accent has over 213,000 miles on it. I just changed the oil in it today, and on my wife's 1993 Impreza with over 230,000 albeit rusting miles on it. Both cars use/take the same generic NAPA shrink wrapped filter. Both cars still have the original so-called crushable washer. Now, let's see which car makes it to over 300,000 miles first?

Jozef

Reply to
Jozef

I installed a Fram valve at the first oil change, so after the change last weekend I guess I've done a total of five with it in place over the

2+ years I've had the car. Zero problems.
Reply to
Brian Nystrom

I never changed the washer on my '94 Excel, either. If it was "crushable", it never crushed. ;-)

Reply to
Brian Nystrom

Is the drain plug different on the V-6 vs. the I-4?

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting

I re-used the washer on my 4 cylinder Sonata as I didn't have one for the first oil change. No leak at all. I bought a bag with the case of filters I ordered online, but I don't see any problem re-using them a few times. The washer on my Chevy truck is the OEM washer and has been through 18 changes now.

Matt

Reply to
Matt Whiting