Oil filter and sludge.

What was the consensus on what type of oil filter to use on a Hyaundai Elantra?
An article in today's paper was about engine damage due to sludge on some makes of cars, even though the owners had
carried out the specified oil and filters changes.
irwell wrote:

I use Hyundai brand on my Sonata as I was able to buy a case mail order for about what other brands cost locally. NAPA makes good filters as do Purolater and others. I'd mainly stay away from the filters that cost much less than $5, such as the low-end Fram and Wal-Mart generic brands (Super Tech or something like that).

Sludge formation is not related to the oil filter.
Matt

This from the article in the NY Times.
Alack of adequate oil changes is the explanation for damage given by Audi, Lexus, Saab, Toyota and VW. Yet unlike Chrysler and Dodge, those automakers have formal compensation programs for sludge damage, although in some cases consumers must pro~ vide detailed, service records - and in the case of Saab, must have used oil filters sold only by the company.
irwell wrote:

Like I said, the oil filter isn't related to sludge. It may be related to the engine warranty, but it has nothing to do with whether sludge forms or not.
However, I'm pretty sure that the above is illegal anyway (Magnusson-Morrison act if memory servers) so if you get a decent lawyer it won't matter what brand of filter you used.
Matt

Actually, I don't believe it is illegal, but according to that act if the manufacturer requires it, they must provide it for FREE.
I believe it was Ferrari, sometime in the last few years, required a "special" oil for the Enzo. The dealer was charging some ridiculous amount per quart, and the car needed something like 12 quarts per oil change. One owner fought this in court (because Ferrari refused to follow the act) and won. Ferrari now provides the oil for free.
Eric
Eric G. wrote:

Yes, I believe you are correct in that giving away required items will keep one out of trouble with M-M.
Matt

Wish I had know earlier. Instead of a Hyundai, I'd get me one of those Fur-arees with free earl. Damn.

Yeah, I guess after paying $1,000,000 for the Enzo, the guy didn't have enough left for the oil :-)
Eric
Edwin Pawlowski wrote:

Don't you know by now that nothing is free!
Matt

Have you noticed that some of the major gas suppliers like Shell are putting out adverts warning about discount gas being harmful? They even show valve stems with carbon deposits on them. Wonder if their profits are being challenged.
wrote in message

And the price of Tea in China is up.
Eric
On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 20:54:40 GMT, "Eric G."

Take a look at this. http://www.autospectator.com/modules/news/article.php?storyid 85
irwell wrote:

Yes, and???

required
12
provides
items
My sentiments exactly.
Eric

Will it affect your choice of gasoline? Why, after years of non-advertising by the major big name suppliers, are they starting up again? Is the Ethanol going to impact them?
irwell wrote:

Shell advertised this for years as did others. It does appear that they have renewed their campaign, but companies do that all the time so I don't read anything of significance into it.
Matt
wrote in message

required
12