oil filter brand and part no. for 05 elantra

'05 Elantra GLS automatic.
I'm thinking of doing oil change on my own. For those of you who've done it on their own, what brand do you like to use and do you happen to know
the part no?
I pick up filters at the dealer. Heard some not nice things about aftermarket on elantras.

snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote:

Elantra. I use them on my own Elantra GT. As Andrew suggested, you can't go wrong with the OEM filter, either.
Avoid Fram filters like the plague! Rumor has it that they're the filters that prompted Hyundai's warning regarding aftermarket filters.
everyone alwas talks about frams being so bad, ive never had a problem with em or the motormaster brands that fram makes. i never once seen any info / proof as to why and what makes them so bad. that web site aboiut the oil filters being cut in half and looked at stated how they were put togterht ats about it. but no proof to a fram filter causing a engine failure. why would they leave a product like that on the shelves, its just beggin for lawsuits then...

Jody wrote:

Correct. They have much less filter area and inferior contruction compared to other filters. They're crap.

That's a very difficult thing to prove, which is probably what Fram is counting on. Additionally, they probably work just fine in most applications. They don't work well on the newer Elantras.

Think about it for a moment. Fram sells hundreds of millions of dollars worth of filters every year. Even if they had to pay out a $100,000 or so in settlements per year, so what? It's a drop in the bucket (1/10 of 1 percent). There is no financial incentive to make their filters better, but there is a significant incentive to make them cheaper and promote the hell out of them. Since filters are blind items, people buy into the advertising hype. Apparently, they've decided that cheap is the way to go. Other companies like Wix and Purlolator are more interested in making quality products.
i dunno, ive never heard of any engine failures regarding frams yet... exactely how much less filter area do they have? i use in my car now valvoline max life made by purolator..

Jody wrote:

It varies from by filter models, but it can be 30% of more.

Purolator apparently makes filters for a lot of other companies. They make the generic filters that Pep Boys sells, too. The Pure One is their premium filter that used a better filter medium than their standard filters.
$5 to $6 dollar filter recommended by manufacturer (OEM), save a buck or two (and take a chance, perhaps $8 per year) for a $15,000 to $25,000 car.
I'll never understand.
i think im going to stick with my purilator/valvoline max lifes... 1000's $ not worth saving 5.00

You can also use a Kia filter if the Kia dealer is closer to you or your Hyundai dealer pi$$e$ you off. The filters are now clearly marked Hyundai/Kia.
snipped-for-privacy@usa.com wrote:

NAPA Gold filters are very well made and available at any NAPA auto parts store. There are other good choices available at real auto parts stores (Wix, Baldwin, Mann, Denso, etc.) as well, but NAPA Gold is an easy one to recommend because of consitent high quality and wide availability.
On the other hand, other than Purolator, I would not use most of the filters sold at the chain auto parts stores or the Big Box Marts.
John