Oil Filter for the 2.7

Did some oil filter research today...
Found the Wix 51324, which crosses over to a 91-95 Corvette (DOHC?) filter.. Bought it, threw it on... Fits great, works great and it
appears the metal on the filter is thicker (or harder temper) than another WIX filter I had here to compare to (the Motorcraft FL1A-equiv).
18 psi anti-drainback valve, too. Thats what Hyundai specs. Hmm.
This filter cost the same $6 as practically any other WIX filter at O'Reilly's.
I'm starting to think the 'maintenance part' guides are more based on profit margin than fitting the optimal part. Theres absolutely no way the 51334 (the 'suggested' filter) is best, especially since the 51344 has nearly identical specs as the 51334 with slightly larger filter area... they certainly don't spec that filter :P
JS
I have a 2004 Santa Fe LX 3.5. I am using Hyundai Filters and Mobil 1 Synthetic 5W30, same filter will fit the 2.7 https://www.hyundaipartsonline.com/index.php Genuine Hyundai Filters, cases of 10 for 38.10 + shipping

Jacob Suter wrote:

Actually, they're based on the manufacturer's recommendations and requirements. In the Purolator brand, the recommended filter is the #14459. However, the #24458 fits fine and is ~40% longer, presumably with at least that much more filter area.
Brian Nystrom wrote:

My larger concern being with the weaker-than-Hyundai-spec bypass valve combined with the very small filter area. I'd be suprised if the small filter ever closes its bypass valve, which means nothing is getting filtered...
I still find it suspitious that the filter spec'd is the absolute smallest (and highest profit) filter on the shelf that will happen to screw onto the mount. While they manufacture a product already that more closely matches the specifications of the OE filter.
JS
are you using the 24458? because I am thinking about it...the 14459 just seems tiny and since i use synthetic, i want to get a filter that can go 5000-7500 miles too without any problems and i worry about that on the 14459
On Wed, 27 Apr 2005 12:23:02 GMT, Brian Nystrom

Jeff Hodges wrote:

Yes, I'm using the #24458. I'm on my second one, currently. The first one went the recommended 7500 mile oil change interval without problems. I'm using synthetic 5W-30 oil.