oil filter guard?

Hi all

On the XG350 (and Sonata I suspect) there is a small plastic (maybe 6" x 6") guard that must be removed from under the car before the oil filter can be replaced. I assume this is for protection against rocks being thrown up while driving, but that is only a guess. On my sister-in-laws car that piece is missing. Undoubtedly a fast oil change place took it off and forgot / didn't bother to put it back on (just another reason to do your own oil changes). Does this piece need to be replaced?

Thanks

Dan

Reply to
Dan Kuechle

I think it has more to do with under vehicle aerodynamics and keeping water away from the belts. I've seen numerous cars without them and have never heard of an issue.

Reply to
hyundaitech