Oil in 2nd cylinder of 96 hyundai accent

I had a chugging motion in my vehicle the other day, and discovered from a code reader that it was something to do with my second cylinder. I looked in the spark plug, and there were massive amounts of oil in and around the spark plug threads. I'm also burning oil like a sieve but there are no leaks below the car. Any ideas?

Reply to
mmcclaf

If there's oil on the threads, I'd suspect the valve cover is leaking. Is this a 12 valve or 16 valve engine?

What code did your receive?

What did the electrodes of the spark plug look like? Was there a large amount of oil on the electrodes as well, or was it dry and carbony?

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

To be honest, I'm not sure. And the code was.... it was the one for the cylinder 2 misfire (I'm sure if you put the code down here I'd recognize it). As for the electrodes, they were fine, same with the spacing. Oil was only on the threads.

Reply to
mmcclaf

The 16V engine has the plugs in holes in the center of the valve cover. The 12V engine has the spark plugs in the front side of the head.

Since the oil is only on the threads, you should look for external sources of oil such as the valve cover gasket. On the 16V engine, this could soak the wire boot and contribute to a misfire. If you have no oil damage to the wires, you should probably proceed with the first steps of otherwise normal misfire diagnosis (checking plugs, wires, coil). Since you have P0302, concentrate primarily on the components of the #2 cylinder. If you don't find anything conclusive, you can try switching plugs, wires (if they'll reach), or coils with another cylinder to see if the misfire moves to the other cylinder.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech

Just as an update, I took it to Hyundai today, and they said the cylinder itself, plus the other 3 cylinders are basically on their way out the door, so I'd have to redo the engine, something I'm not willing to do or pay for. But the car is a 12V engine, and there was no oil damage on the wires.

Reply to
mmcclaf

I agree with your determination. It isn't worth spending that kind of money on a 12 year old car.

On the other hand, it's possible that if you drop a new set of plugs in it that it'll run well for a while until the plugs get oil fouled again.

-- Message posted using

information at

hyundaitech