Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Threaded View
I have an oil leak that just started today on my 2004 Hyundai Santa Fe V-6
3.5L engine.  I took the engine cover off and I found that the oil is
leaking out around a black plastic cap that I think covers the end of a
valve camshaft.  I am not sure if "camshaft" is the right term, but here are
some photos:

http://i40.tinypic.com/al0xmo.jpg
http://i43.tinypic.com/2mhx0f6.jpg
http://i40.tinypic.com/ilhj6r.jpg

In the first photo, the black plastic cap is in the center of the photo and
is on the end of the valve cover for that half of the engine.  The plastic
cap was partially popped out.  I pushed it back in and started the engine
again and the plastic cap popped back out again.

The second photo is with the black plastic cap all the way out and I placed
it on top of the valve cover to show what it looks like.

The third photo is just a closer look into the opening where the oil is
leaking out.  In that view, with the engine running, I can see the camshaft
turning and oil leaking out.

Do I have the right term? -- is it called a camshaft?

What is the fix for this?  I am assuming that it is some kind of bad seal
that goes around the end of the camshaft.  If so, is that something that
maybe I could fix if I take the valve cover off?  Or, if not me, would it be
a big job for an auto shop or dealer to fix?

Is there any chance that there is some way to replace just the black plastic
cap in a way that would keep the oil from leaking out of the engine without
having to replace the seal on the camshaft?

Any info or clues about this would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L
Rear Camshaft seal.
http://tinyurl.com/mqag3hm

Never had to replace one, but I imagine it just presses (force) in place.

[...]

It's actually held in place by the end camshaft cap.  You'll need to remove
 the valve cover in question and pull the cap off to replace this.  I've ne
ver seen or heard of this happening.

I wonder if there's enough room to install one of those rubber freeze plug
repair kits with the bolt through the center for expansion.  Not really the
 right way and may be prone to quick failure, but if you're looking for som
ething cheap and quick to try, it's worth a thought.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

This also looks like it is the rubber cap/plug/part that came out (which I
still have):
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8zq98?itemIdentifier=367049 .

Thanks. I am not sure about what the "end camshaft cap" is that you are
saying may be what holds this in place.  In the exploded parts diagrams on
the following link, I don't see an end camshaft cap:
http://www.autozone.com/autozone/parts/_/N-8zq98?itemIdentifier=367049 .

The rubber cap that came out (that I still have) can be pressed back into
place, but I don't see what would hold it there.  When I pressed it back in,
it just came back out.  But, that was with oil all around the perimeter of
the rubber cap, so it just slid back out when I turned on the engine.

I may just try cleaning off all of the oil, replacing the rubber cap/plug,
and using either super glue or maybe the grey silicone gasket stuff that is
used for the oil pan seal to try to keep it in place -- or some other kind
of adhesive.  It seems like it couldn't hurt to try that and see what
happens.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Oops, that second link above should have read,

"In the exploded parts diagrams on the following link, I don't see an end
camshaft cap:
http://www.justanswer.com/car/10ivf-03-kia-sedona-v6-3-5-camshaft-oil-seal.html
."

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

It's labeled "bearing cap (rear)."

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Okay, thanks.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Well, I seem to be in uncharted waters here.  I think I'm going to try
putting the hard rubber cap back in with one of these three products and see
what happens:

http://permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-sealants/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-1-sealant-detail

http://permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/gasketing/gasket-makers/permatex-ultra-grey-rigid-high-torque-rtv-silicone-gasket-maker-detail

http://permatex.com/products-2/product-categories/adhesives-sealants/epoxies/permatex--cold-weld-bonding-compound-detail

I'll post back here which one(s) I try and how it works out -- probably in a
day or two.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

I ended up trying putting the cap back in place with the Form-a-gasket No.
1.  I am now waiting until it cures for more than 24 hours before trying it
to see if it works.

When I cleaned out all of the caked-on crud and dirt before putting the cap
back in place, I discovered that there is a weep hole at the bottom that I
assume lets any oil drain back into the engine.  I think the weep hole was
probably clogged, and maybe that caused oil to get in behind the rubber cap
with no way out.  If that's correct, I think that pressure would have built
up and pushed the cap out and caused the oil leak.

Here are 3 photos -- a "before cleaning", after cleaning (showing the weep
hole), and after I put the cap back in place with the Permatex form-a-gasket
No. 1:

http://i42.tinypic.com/27ymydh.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/246uq3c.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/2a5ipus.jpg

And, in case it helps, here is a "before cleaning" video with the engine
running:

http://tinypic.com/r/2qknrc2/5.

I think the video shows the oil coming out through the camshaft bearing, but
not draining out through the (probably clogged up) weep hole.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L -- Follow-up; the fix worked

It looks like the fix/repair that I did worked.  As shown in the last photo
that I posted (not the video)
http://i41.tinypic.com/2a5ipus.jpg, I sealed
the plastic cap back in place using Permatex form-a-gasket No. 1.  I then
let it cure for 36 hours and tried it.  The oil leak is gone, and the cap is
staying in place.  So, hopefully, it is completely fixed and will stay that
way.

Thanks for all of the responses to help me get this figured out.

Re: Oil leak, 2004 Santa Fe 3.5L

Thanks.  That looks like the cap that I have that came out.  IN my next post
I'll write a little more about that.

Site Timeline