OK, what is the SECRET!?! 99 Elentra lower timing belt cover.... how to get it back in place?

I barely got the thing out, and that was a month ago. I am TRYING to get the cover back in but it is starting to crack. There must be some secret? I tried removing the front engine mount but the iron supports coming off of the engine and the water pump on the other side block it from getting into place either from top or bottom. I will have to order a new cover if this keeps up! Help!

I need to finish this up so I can drive the car up from TX for my son to use in Chicago before we move to Tucson.

KWW

KWW

With the motor mount out (needs to be removed to get the belt off anyway), jack the engine up, being careful not to dent the oil pan. This will get you some extra room.

It's been a long time since I've done one of these, but I seem to recall a down, over, and up pattern of some sort.

Reply to
hyundaitech

jack the engine up, being careful not to dent the oil pan. This will get you some extra room.

down, over, and up pattern of some sort.

Thanks man. I will give that a shot. Hyundai has always engineered things for easy access on other things so I figured that there had to be a way (at least easier compared to Honda and Ford).

KWW

I loosened the AC compressor bolts until there was only a round or two on each holding it on, then slid it over 1 inch. Between that and a NEW lower timing cover I was able to get the cover up, bend the upper corner around the water pump and get the cover in place. I had removed the engine mount on the wheel well side to provide more room. (bent the upper right corner as you look at the front of the engine - it went back into place after getting past the water pump.)

KWW